Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Warm Potato Salad with Fire Roasted Jalapeno

As you may know by now, Chris and I eat a lot of potatoes.  Normally you see my grilled potato rounds on our plates and that's about it, so I have been trying to change that habit with a few different potato ideas.  The other night when I threw this together I knew I wanted to make a potato salad, but I didn't have too many other ingredients to use.  So I was scouring around in the fridge and noticed I still had a jalapeno... mmmmmm.... jalapeno.  That was it though, so I decided I would keep it simple and yet tasty.  I liked using the baby red potatoes because they hold their form a little better and I was going for a more whole potato salad then a mushed up one.  If you wanted to use russets or another potato, that would be just fine too.  I may add more tarragon the next time I make it, but it would be the only things I would think about changing.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Warm Potato Salad with Fire Roasted Jalapeno
Printable Recipes 
Ingredients:
1 lb baby red potatoes, halved or quartered - you choose
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 roasted jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and diced ****see notes below****
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon tarragon

Directions:
Place the cut potatoes in a large pan and cover with water.  Place over medium high heat and boil until desired tenderness...I cooked mine until they were fork tender.  Drain and place in serving bowl.

Add all the ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine.  Serve warm!

*****To roast your jalapeno*****
Grill Method: Place peppers directly on preheated grill and cook until the outside is charred. 
Oven/broiler Method:  Place peppers in a hot oven or broiler set at 400º to 450ºF (205º to 232ºC) for 6 to 8 minutes; using tongs carefully turn pepper often until skin blisters evenly on all sides.
Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Once the jalapeno is cooled a bit, you can take it out of the bowl and peel the skin off....stem, seed and dice.

10 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I really like the way this sounds. I'll wager the jalapeno take potato sald to a whole nother level. It looks delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

I have so many friensd who would just love this

StephenC said...

Nicely simple. We're making a picnic dinner for friends up in Central City, CO next week. Something like this everyone would like.

Yenta Mary said...

Potatoes are a gift from the gods, and it's impossible to tire of them! This looks like a dish that is absolutely fabulous and a definite "must make SOON" ... :)

Cheeseboy said...

Potato Salad is one thing that is either DANG good or just DANGED bad. This looks like the good type. The very good type.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

now thats a new twist on potato salad, and I love it.....the fire roasted jalapeños must have added so much flavor...what an inspired idea!

Angie's Recipes said...

The combination of potato and jalapeno sounds so healthy and flavourful.

Debbie said...

First I have to say that I love that pie in the previous post! The potato salad looks delicious. I never thought of using a jalapeno in potato salad but it sounds great since I love hot and spicy food!

Pam said...

Oh my gosh! this is potato salad with a twist! We love, love potatoes and I will be trying this! Very creative recipe! All I have on hand are Idaho's so I will be potato shopping tomorrow. Thanks Jenn!

Unknown said...

This is sooooo tempting to me, Jenn...cuz remember how I told you about my potato love affair? This is calling my name. :)