Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sunny Side Orzo

Friday nights are no longer what they use to be for me.  Now, that's not a bad thing, it's just an honest statement.  I'm pretty sure most of us can make that same statement.  Every other Friday night I am sitting at home creating a two week menu plan and grocery list.  I actually really enjoy it.  There's something very therapeutic about it...something very calming!  Most Friday night's are "fend for yourself" night at our house.  It's really the only night during the week that I don't plan to cook anything.  I usually end up throwing something simple together, but there is no planned meal and there is no must makes on Friday nights.  Sometimes, I use Friday's as experiment night.  I'll usually end up making something I'm not quite sure Chris will like.  Some nights they are hits...some nights they are misses....more misses then hits I'm ashamed to say.  The night I made this though... big hit, at least with me...and really...that was all I was trying to impress anyway!  I opened up my pantry and fridge and used what I had.  I ate this fantastic orzo as a meal, but you could use it as a side dish too.  It would compliment a fish dish or a simple grilled chicken dish perfectly!  Better yet, chop up some chicken or steak or pork and add it to the orzo.  Once again, there's no need to follow the recipe to the T...do what works for you, I'm just here to give you ideas!

Sunny Side Orzo
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1-2 servings or 3-4 side dishes
1/2 cup orzo pasta
1 orange bell pepper, diced (you could use yellow or red, doesn't matter)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1-2 key limes, juiced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1 small Roma tomato, diced

Directions:
Cook orzo according to package; drain.  Pour into serving bowl.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a small saute pan over medium heat.  Add the peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute 1 more minute.  Remove from heat.  Add the pepper mixture to the orzo along with the key lime juice, thyme and parmesan.  Stir to combine.  Top with diced tomatoes, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve!

9 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

I just need to simply stop checking out your latest posts until I've eaten lunch! I eat breakfast, but it's not enough to sustain me when gawking at something that looks this good ... :)

Debbie said...

Sounds delicious. I'm a big fan of orzo and this a great idea.

Debbie said...

I also meant to tell you that I love the idea of planning out a menu two weeks before and writing a list of the ingredients you need. I have to try that. It sounds really organized...I like that!

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Love orzo! This is so pretty and sounds delish. I'll have to try it soon. And yeah, Friday nights are a whole different ball game these days. :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely recipe. I really love orzo and you've given me a new way in which to use it. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I just don't make orzo enough, and your sunny side orzo does sound very good! I bet it would even be great cold and that would make a nice addition to my salad bar at school!

Unknown said...

I just love all the colors on this on, Jenn! :)

Sook said...

Orzo is one of my favorites! Your dish looks delicious!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

You know my love of a good pasta salad. I love this one :) Looks delicious, full of fresh bright flavors, perfect for summer! Was it the orzo that Chris rejected? How can one shape of pasta taste different than other? LOL :)