Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2010

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

I have been wanting to try making pulled pork for a while now.  I saw a recipe recently that called for cooking the pork in a slow cooker and thought...perfect!!  So I decided to create my own recipe and this is what I came up with...fall off the bone, melt in your mouth, succulent pulled pork.  I can't even describe to you the flavors that hit your mouth....the meat literally just melts as it hits your tongue. I made sort of a Carolina style bbq sauce to go over it, but really, the pork was so good you really don't need it.  That's right, I, the sauce girl, once again said you don't need sauce.  What's wrong with me right?  Nothing, I'm telling you...sometimes things call for sauce, other times....like this time...NO SAUCE REQUIRED!  Now this recipe will make a lot of pork.  If you have a big family, this is perfect for you.  If you don't have a big family, say like Chris and I...you'll have a lot left over.  Never fear my loyal readers, I will help you use those leftovers.  Check back Monday for a yummy pulled pork quesadilla on the grill.....!!!  Don't want to do quesadillas?  Try making pulled pork tacos, or enchiladas, or even pulled pork crisps, the possibilities could be endless!

Just a note on time.  Though this recipe is VERY simple, it does take time (that's why they call it slow cookin' baby!).  Make sure to give yourself 8 hours for "marinating" time and 8 hours for cooking time.  Sure, you could cut the cooking time in half by cranking the crock-pot up to high, but don't, take it slow, it will be well worth the wait....I promise!!

Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3.5 lb bone-in pork butt (you can use pork shoulder also)
Salt & Pepper
Garlic Powder
Ancho Chili Powder (you can just just regular chili powder)
1 shallot, sliced
2 cups beef broth
1 cup beer (I used Bud Light) or water
For Sandwiches:
Hamburger buns
Carolina BBQ Sauce - Recipe follows

Directions:
Liberally season the pork butt with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and ancho chili powder.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or preferably over night.

Place the sliced shallots in the bottom of a 5 quart slow cooker.  Place the unwrapped pork on top of the shallots.  Pour the beef broth and beer (or water) over the pork and cover.  Cook on low for 8 hours.

Remove from slow cooker and allow to cool slightly. Discard bone and pan juices.  Shred the meat using a fork or two.  Place shredded pork on buns and pour bbq sauce the meat.  Enjoy!


Carolina BBQ Sauce
Ingredients:
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon molasses
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and whisk well to dissolve the sugar. Place in a squeeze bottle and dress the pulled pork sandwiches to taste.

11 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, I can't even believe you're torturing me like this!!! That looks SO AMAZING!!!

Ott, A. said...

Looks delish! I love using my crock pot, to make pulled pork. It makes the meat soooo tender.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

You know I love me some pulled pork! Yours looks delicious. One of these days I'll have to drag my crock pot out again & actually use it - if for nothing else other than this pork :) YUMMY!

Annie said...

I am trying this one for sure! Thanks Jenn!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

That last photo will convince any who read your post to try this recipe. It really looks fantastic. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

StephenC said...

Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, you're out-doing yourself. I haven't used our slow cooker in a long time. I'm going to keep an eye out for a sale on a pork roast.

Sook said...

That's awesome that you created something that you absolutely loved! The pulled pork looks great! I am sure it tasted heavenly.

Debbie said...

Love using my crock pot especially this time of year. My husband would love this....one of his favorites. Thanks for posting!

Cheeseboy said...

That looks downright terrific. I like the use of Bud Light instead of water.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh one of my favorite meals ever. Looks like a great recipe, I'll have to try it soon!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Unknown said...

Can't wait to try this, Jenn! :) You always have THE BEST stuff cookin'! Wanna come cook for me sometime? hee, hee! :)