Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Tilapia

A few weeks back (maybe a little longer), Andrea, The Kitchen Witch posted a recipe for Sweet and Spicy Shrimp that looked and sounded incredibly DE-lecious!  Chris and I don't eat a lot of shrimp, mainly because of cost.  Even the frozen bags of them can get costly, and well, I gotta say, I've had some bad experiences with frozen, bagged shrimp anyway.   This one time, I opened up the bag and the smell that came out of it was enough to remind me of the Salt Creek ...the stinky bed of water that runs through my small hometown... ICK!  So, needless to say, shrimp is usually saved for very special occasions in our house.  You, of course, can guess what thought came to my mind...yep..that's right.... if it works on shrimp it will definitely work on fish.. and what do you know, I have Tilapia in the freezer!!  YAY!!  Now my fish didn't get that nice caramelization that Andrea's shrimp got, but that's only because I grilled these in foil packets.  Had I pan seared them or even placed them directly on the grill, I too would have had that outcome.  BUT, that did not take away from the wonderful sweet and spicy flavor of this marinade.  This would also work great on chicken...for all of those seafood haters out there :)


Sweet and Spicy Tilapia
Adapted from Andrea the Kitchen Witch
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
4 Tilapia fillets
1.5 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon lime juice
2 Tablespoons Hoisin
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Sriracha

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the fish.  Place fish in a resealable bag or shallow dish.  Pour the marinade over the fish to coat and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Preheat a grill to medium.  Place the Tilapia fillets on squares of aluminum foil sprayed with non-stick spray, close to make a packet.  Place the packets directly on the grill grate and grill for 12-14 minutes, turning at least once.  Carefully remove from grill and foil packets.

To bake:  Place the fish in a baking dish or in foil packets.  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 13-14 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

  

5 comments:

StephenC said...

So far this morning I've a few recipes that are wonderfully simple - like this one. I've got to emulate that.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Of course you used tilapia! It wouldn't be Jenn with out tilapia LOL :) Sorry about your bagged shrimp experience, sounds a lot like my bagged fish experience LOL. Thanks for reminding me of this marinade, it was really tasty and would be wonderful on chicken on the grill. Hey maybe that's whats for dinner!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Looks yummy. I've never liked shrimp, so this works better for me. :-) This, along with fresh green beans!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Great idea as when I was at the store yesterday shrimp was $18 a pound!!!! We'll make this soon.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Unknown said...

This looks great, just discovered your blog.