Search This Blog

Friday, July 16, 2010

Not Quite Heinz 57 Marinade for Steaks

Will I get in trouble with Heinz for using their name in my recipe?  If you notice this post missing in a few days, you'll know I did!  (lol)  So when I made this I was trying to figure out a good name for it.  I had Chris smell the marinade because it reminded me of something, I just couldn't put my finger on what it was.  He immediately said, "it smells almost like Heinz 57."  Yep, that was what it was.  Not exactly, but close...hence the not quite part.  This marinade was sweet, savory, tart, and a tad bit spicy....all my favorite things!!  And guess what?  I didn't even make a sauce to go with it!!  I know you must see this as out of character for me, but this time, I knew I wasn't going to need it, so why bother with it?

Now I say that this marinade is for steaks, but as I sit here typing, I started thinking...this would actually be really good on chicken AND pork....so don't feel like you HAVE to use steak.

Not Quite Heinz 57 Marinade for Steaks
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons paprika
2.5 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt)
1/4 teaspoon Ancho chili powder
2 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
2 Tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
1 Tablespoon beer (you can always add more if you want)
1 lb. steak - your choice

Directions:
Mix together all ingredients but the steaks together in a small bowl.  Rub on both sides of each steak, wrap in plastic, and allow to marinate for 4-6 hours.

Preheat a grill to medium high.  Rub oil on the grates of the grill.  Place steaks on the grill and leave them alone!  Let them cook for 5-10 minutes on each side (depending on the size and how you like your steak cooked), turning only once.  Remove from grill and let rest for a few minutes before you slice into them....and enjoy!!


8 comments:

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Looks like I'll be grilling this weekend! thanks for the marinade recipe. It sounds yummy.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What ever you call it, it is a wonderful recipe that has been bookmarked here. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

StephenC said...

How strange. I just sent you an email saying nobody had posted today. Then I came here to your blog and find you did post this morning. It's not showing up at my place. A mystery. Anyhow, you've done a great job again. I might try this recipe with some pork chops I have in the freezer. Looks really good.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

hi Jenn
my wife loves that sauce, I bet yours is sooo much better! thanks for the recipe!
and what a beautiful plate you have assembled..
have a great weekend!
Dennis

partialemptynester said...

Mmm, you had me at ancho chili powder and now I'm your newest follower :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I'm going to try that on the sirloin I just bought. I have a huge pot of rosemary outside the back door. Can't wait!

Bo said...

I've been on a grilling kick lately...I'll try this.

Unknown said...

My little bro LOVES Heinz 57....I bet he would love this!! :) Thanks so much for sharing. Everythign you post always looks so yummy!!