Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Simple Herb Marinated New York Steaks

So over the 4th of July weekend, Chris and I splurged and picked up some really nice cuts of New York steaks.  Normally, I'll grab a cut of steak that is on sale so nothing too fancy (or thick) ever hits our table.  But this night...oh, this night we went all out.  I didn't want to ruin a good cut of steak by soaking it in other flavors, I really just wanted to bring the natural flavor of the steak out and... well...ok...maybe add just a real subtle herb flavor...so I decided to marinate it with fresh herbs and garlic.  It was simple and it was fantastic!  The bad part of the night...I ran out of propane and had to finish the steaks in a pan.  UGH!!  I hate that!!  It didn't hurt the steaks a bit, but all I needed was 4 more minutes.... just 4 more minutes!!!  :)

This is a great way to get just a nice subtle flavor on the outside of the steaks before you place them on the grill.  I used rosemary and parsley because it was what I had in my refrigerator, but you could really use any mixture of fresh herbs.  As always, the longer you let them sit, the more flavor you will get! 
Simple Herb Marinated New York Steaks
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 New York steaks (together they were over a pound)
Olive oil
salt and pepper
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon parsley, roughly chopped
2 Tablespoons rosemary, roughly chopped

Directions:
Rub both sides of the steaks with olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  On each side, place half the sliced garlic and half of the herbs on top of the steaks and press down.  Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 8 hours.

Preheat a grill to medium, medium-high.  Place the steaks directly on the grates and don't touch them.  Let them cook for 5-10 minutes, depending on how you like your steaks cooked, then flip them and let them cook another 5-10 minutes or until they are to your desired doneness.  Remove from the grill and let rest 3 minutes before you cut into them.  Enjoy!

7 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

You're making me hungry, Jenn, even though I had a good breakfast! Those look amazing!!!

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Those look good! I love a good marinade!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Simple flavors on a good piece of beef is all you need! Sorry about the propane running out, that always happened to me when we used gas :( The steaks look delish, I'll be right over :)

StephenC said...

Sometimes simple is best. Aaaargh, no more propane! It must be like me running out of vodka.

Mary Bergfeld said...

The steaks look perfectly prepared. Good beef does not need a lot of fussing. I think your recipe is perfect for hot summer nights. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Pam said...

Your steaks look delicious! This is a great simple recipe and as some others said, the steak needs little more. You did it just right! Good job!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

That is my idea of heaven. Simple and delicious...well done. Not the steak, the recipe.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com