Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Pulled Pork Quesadillas

I promised Friday to give you a recipe that would use up some of that left over pulled pork from last week...and here it is.  Pulled Pork Quesadillas!!  YUM!  Unfortunately, silly little me didn't do a great job of writing this recipe down....I knew I was making these to post and I STILL didn't write down the exact amounts of the ingredients I used!!  Grrrrrr... So this is a basic guess of what I used.  Look at it this way:  I am giving you the canvas and the paint and you get to create what ever you want!!!  Yes, class, that's right, she's once again brought us back to the canvas talk.  Seriously, though, quesadillas are one of those foods that just calls for creativeness.  You can put just about anything in your quesadillas.  They are fun to build, fun to eat, and easy, easy, easy!!!

Quesadillas started off with being just cheese in a tortilla (normally a corn tortilla).  Do you know the word quesadilla actually means "cheese in tortilla"?  It's true.. look it up if you don't believe me :)  The Mexican quesadilla has been adopted in many regions of the United States. It's mostly prepared the same, but using local ingredients instead.  I have seen recipe that call for ham and cheese or shrimp and cheese.  Of course there is always the standard chicken or shredded beef too.  But today, today is all about the pulled pork.  You can use any number of ingredients as add ins.. or if you want, just stick with the cheese and pork, it would be amazingly good too.  I grilled these (of course) but you can put them on a griddle or in a large non-stick pan too and get the same results.

Pulled Pork Quesadillas
makes 2 (10-inch) quesadillas
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
1-2 cups pulled pork
1-2 cups shredded cheese - depends on how cheesy you want it (I used a colby-jack blend)
1 roasted jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1 avocado, peeled and pit removed
lime juice
salt and pepper

Directions:
In a small bowl, smash the avocado up just a bit, add a little lime juice, salt, and pepper.  Stir to combine and set aside.

To assemble your quesadillas:  Lay out the pulled pork evenly between two tortillas.  Layer the cheese over it, then the jalapenos, and then the tomatoes.  Spread the avocado mixture on one side of the other two tortillas and lay them on top of the others, pressing down a little to seal everything in.

Place the prepared quesadillas directly on a preheated grill (low) and let cook for 1-2 minutes.  Flip them over and continue to cook until the outsides are crispy and the cheese has melted.  Remove from grill, cut into half or 4th's, and enjoy!!

10 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Leftover pork??? Huh?!?!? I'd need to cook an entire pig to keep my son and his buddies from devouring every scrap! These quesadillas look so, so good!

Unknown said...

OMG, Jenn, that looks sooo delicious!! I could sooo use me some of that! I love, love, love pulled pork!! That's it...it is totally on my shopping list for next week!! :)

Stephen C said...

Ah, the quesadilla! Many's the time we've stuck leftovers between tortillas, painting our own canvas between them. Great grill marks.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

these look delish Jenn! Great use up for left overs!! Have you ever made pulled pork nachos with BBQ sauce in lieu of salsa? Its pretty darn good :) I wish I had some of this pork here NOW so I could make these for lunch. Feel free to FedEx me any left overs LOL :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really looks delicious. I love pork. I love quesadillas. A match made in heaven. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Yum! I make pulled pork a lot but haven't used it in a quesadilla. Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

I love this quesadilla recipe! When I make quesadillas, I grill them on my George Foreman Grill.

Debbie said...

Oh yeah....I could definitely eat these at any time. They look great Jenn!!!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh great minds, my friend, great minds. That is exactly what I do when I'm thinking of how to use up all that extra pulled pork. YUM!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

bristol plasterer said...

This sounds delicious, thanks for posting this recipe.

Simon