Search This Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Spaghetti with Hot Italian Sausage

When I was a kid, my mom would always make us a special birthday dinner.  My choices, for that special dinner, were either her tacos (homemade shells.. yum!) or spaghetti with Italian sausage.  Most often I picked tacos, but there were times where the pasta and sauce girl came out screaming!  One year my mom made it and the sausage was so incredibly hot, it was almost painful to eat...ALMOST :)

This is my simple version of that wonderful dinner.  It's not my mom's recipe, but it's close.  The sauce is very simple to make and does not need a lot of time to simmer.  I also did not have any fresh herbs when I made this, so by all means, if you have them, feel free to use them! If you have your own homemade sauce recipe, go on and use it if you want too.  One of these days I'll post my true, simmer all day and make the house smell wonderful, homemade sauce.  For now, this will have to do!

 

Spaghetti with Hot Italian Sausage
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 lb. dried spaghetti (you can use any kind of pasta really)
3 hot Italian sausage links - sliced
olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 sweet onion, finely diced
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley

Directions: 
Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain well.

Meanwhile, in a large, deep, non-stick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat.  Add the sausage saute until just cooked through, about 5-8 minutes (this time will actually depend on how think of slices or chunks you use).  Remove from pan and drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.

To the same skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and add the onions.  Let saute on medium-low heat until they are just starting to caramelize.  Add the garlic and saute one more minute.  Add the crushed tomatoes and spices and stir to combine.  Add the sausage back to the skillet and let simmer for 10 minutes.  Serve over pasta and enjoy!



Parsley on FoodistaParsley 

10 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, it's hard to beat a dish this fabulous! Hot sausage is absolutely the way to go!!!

StephenC said...

For some reason my blog is not automatically updating with the others I am following - still showing your Heinz doodah for example. So I came here to see and lo and behold there is a new post. A fine one at that.

Amy said...

This looks delicious, and I LOVE hot sausage with pasta!

I've nominated you for two awards at my blog. Come check them out!
http://foodiefairytale.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-awards.html

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely sauce. As a child this was my favorite meal. I hope the day treats you well. Blessings...MAry

Unknown said...

I love pasta recipes! Great sauce recipe!

Amy B. said...

Gotta love the sauce, thanks for sharing. I'm snatching your recipe by the way for this weekend, hehe! thanks , i wanna share this to my friends in Foodista . Just if you don't mind adding the foodista widget for parsley at the end of this post, then that would be great. The widget will be directing readers to this post when they go looking for parsley recipes ;-) thanks and keep 'em coming

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

MMMmmmm, we're on the same wavelength. My post is spag & meatballs today! Yours, as always, looks delish!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Unknown said...

Mmm..... Jenn... that makes my inner pasta lover scream for more!! Mom recipes are the best, huh? :)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Why didn'tI think of sausage with pasta? This is wonderful dish. I just printed it and I want to try it soon.

Sharon Schaub said...

The reason the sausage was so, so hot that ONE TIME was because I used hot Italian sausage. Before & since then, I've used mild Italian sausage.
Your Mom!