Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Grilled Mac & Cheese with Sriracha Chicken

All right, all right...so I didn't do the ENTIRE thing on the grill, but I did "bake" it on the grill.  I probably could have done the whole thing on the grill, but I was worried about how much gas I had...for the grill that is...so I didn't want to take a chance!  You could easily do this in the oven, but I wanted so badly to say that I "baked" mac and cheese on the grill!!

My love for mac and cheese came, not from a box, but from my grandmother's kitchen.  I remember it being rich and creamy and just the best mac and cheese I ever tasted.  All she used was Velveeta and milk...though I believe when she told me that, she left something important out, but none of my family can figure out what it is! lol  She made it simple...and to this day, using Velveeta is still my preferred way of making this dish, but as an adult, I have tried to move away from that and try other recipes that use cheese sauces made with an actual cheese!  I used 2 cups of monterey jack cheese and 2 cups of a colby-jack blend cheese, but you could use any blend you want.  If you want to make it all cheddar, go for it.  I would have loved to have done a blend of mild cheddar and white cheddar but the white cheddar cheese was outrageously priced for some reason.  ANYWAY :)  What else really needs to be said about mac and cheese?  It was creamy, it was cheesy, it was good! As for the chicken I cut it up and put it in the mac...I wanted a little kick, so I marinated the chicken in sriracha.  Want to make it even easier?  Just season the chicken with some salt and pepper and throw it on the grill.  Not going to grill the mac & cheese and don't want to grill the chicken either?  Throw it in a pan...sear it then cut it.  Leave it out all together... However you decide to make it will be just perfect!

Grilled Mac & Cheese with Sriracha Chicken
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast
1-2 Tablespoons Sriracha
3 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 cup panko bread crumbs, toasted (heat 1 Tbls olive oil in a pan, add panko, cook until light brown and toasted)
1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
3 cups dried elbow macaroni
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
2 cups shredded colby-jack cheese
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:
Mix together the sriracha, honey and lime juice.  Pour over chicken and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.  Remove from marinade and place on preheated grill until cooked through, about 5-8 minutes per side.  Remove from grill, let cool.  Slice into strips or chunks, set aside.

In a bowl, combine the toasted panko, rosemary, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese.  Season with salt and pepper, set aside.

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the flour and stir. Cook for 1 minute.  Slowly whisk in the milk and reduce heat to medium-low.  Add the cheese a little at a time until it is completely melted.  (Do not let the mixture boil, you will get a gritty sauce)  Add the cayenne and season with salt and pepper.  Pour the sauce mixture over the pasta and stir to combine.  Place the pasta in a 9x9 aluminum pan.  Top with panko mixture.

Place the pan directly on a preheated grill (low), cover, and let "bake" for 5 minutes.  Rotate the pan 180 degrees and allow to cook another 5 minutes.  Rotate pan one more time and cook another 5 minutes.  Remove from the grill and enjoy!!

12 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yum! This sounds really really good! Did it pick up a smoky flavor from the grill? Like smoked cheese? Sounds really good! I think you need to change the name of your blog to "Jenn's GRILL Journey" :)

Unknown said...

No smokey flavor, but it did get a bit caramelized on the bottom :) But not burnt, so it was fantastic!

Stephen C said...

I grew up eating Velveeta. But, like you, would probably feel a little funny about posting a recipe with it. This gives me an idea for a recipe involving Spam and Velveeta - and I WILL do it!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jenn, this really sounds delicious and it is a perfect meal for a summer night. I hope the day treats you well. Blessings...Mary

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh yes please!!! This looks fantastic!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Pam said...

Adding the sriracha sauce makes this over the top delicious.

Unknown said...

I have never grilled mac and cheese before. After reading your blog, I am going to give it a try.

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Mac & cheese = yummmmmmm!! I love the idea of grilling it.

Unknown said...

mmmmmm.....that looks soooo yummy!! I loooovvvvveee mac & cheese!! :)

mr. pineapple man said...

anything with sriracha is delicious!! i can also smell ur steak from all the way here!

partialemptynester said...

Mmm, I'm lovin all things spicy on your blog!

Bo said...

My mom always used Velveeta and it was the best...this sounds really great...I love sriracha!