Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grilled Cheesy Potatoes

It's confession time again, loyal readers......I have purchased yet ANOTHER barbecue/grilling cookbook!!  Yes, that's right, I know I just won one, but this one...well this one was calling me man, it was just calling me!!!!  It's the Better homes and Gardens Grillin' & Chillin' cookbook:
I couldn't help myself... I mean, look, it's right there on the cover...164 Finger-Lickin' FIRE-KISSED FOODS....164!!!  Could YOU have passed that up?  Well, what if it was on sale for $5???  Would you pass it up then?  Yea, me either!!

Ok, I have to bring this up....does anyone remember the show on Food Network with Bobby Flay and Jack McDavid called Grillin' & Chillin'?  OMG, it was so funny and so good....Bobby did his grillin' on the gas grill while Jack did his on the charcoal (or maybe it was the other way around, I seem to doubt myself on that one right now).  I think that was the first time I saw Bobby flay...little did I know I would become a self proclaimed grill master myself!!  Anyway, when I saw this cookbook that's the first thing I thought of.  Wish I could find a youtube video of it or something, but all I found was this:



ANYWAY....my first recipe out of this book is surprisingly a side dish recipe.  I know I don't post a lot of side dish recipes and it's due to two picky vegetable eaters in my house :)  I was discussing side dish options with my pal Stephen the other day and I realized just how incredibly picky Chris and I really are.  I mean we are almost on the verge of being snobs!!  lol  There is only a hand full of veggies we both agree on.  At least we can always agree on potatoes....and today, today I'm going to share this amazingly easy, amazingly cheesy, amazingly delicious little concoction!  I know, from the picture, that they do not LOOK all cheesy and good, but trust me...They are!  And, hey, if you want more cheese.....add more!!!

Grilled Cheesy Potatoes
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens, Grillin' & Chillin' Cookbook
Printable Recipes 
Ingredients:
1 lb. baby red potatoes, quartered
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
6 cloves of garlic (leave the skin on)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt)
2 Tablespoons cold better, cut into pieces
2 oz finely shredded pepper jack cheese
2-3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Place potatoes into a pan and cover with water.  Place the pan on the stove, over high heat, and bring the potatoes to a boil.  Boil for 4-5 minutes.  Immediately drain and toss with olive oil.  Season with half the salt and pepper. 

Fold a 36"x18" piece of heavy-duty foil in half to make an 18-inch square.  Lightly coat the foil with cooking spray.  Place the potatoes, onion, and garlic (what's great about the garlic, it's going to be soft and almost sweet tasting once it's been roasted!) in the center of the foil.  Top with butter pieces, pepper jack cheese, and parmesan cheese.  Bring up the opposite ends of the foil and seal with a double fold.  Fold remaining edges together to completely enclose vegetables, leaving space for steam to build.

Preheat the grill to medium.  Place the foil packet on the grill and grill for 15-20 minutes, turning once.  Serve immediately.

   

8 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Good lord it 7 am and I'm about to fire up the grill and make these. Delicious!!! i remember Grillin & Chillin' that was back in the day when Bobby Flay used to annoy me. He seemed so arrogant back then LOL :) I like him now :) but he's got nothin' on Grillin' champ Jenn :)

Tanyia said...

wow, this sounds really yummy, ty!I am going to try this one

Unknown said...

I have a deep & abiding love affair w/potatoes. But my hubby is WEIRD and won't eat them. Good thing he travels for work...the kids & I live off of them while he's gone. Thus, my affair...

StephenC said...

Your enthusiasm for all things grilled is infectious. I'll have to make time tomorrow to watch the video. Busy day today with the foodie group doing pot luck tonight.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These sound really wonderful. I can imagine how flavorful they are. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Yenta Mary said...

Potatoes ... cheese. Does it get any better than this???

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Pretty much have to second what Yenta Mary said. Yumm!!!

Angie's Recipes said...

I just realized that I have no BBQ book in my bookshelf...
These cheesy potatoes look so flavourful!