Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Spicy Beef Stir Fry

I realized the other day, that it's been FAR too long since I've made a stir fry.  It's been even longer since I made a stir fry with beef.  Stephen (The Obsessive Chef) created two different beef stir fries last month and that got my creative kitchen juices working.  I was actually going to use his recipe, then I thought, wait...I COULD actually create my own.  I keep saying I'm going to create more of my own recipes more often, so here's the opportunity.  This has some of the same ingredients as my Mongolian Beef recipe, so if you were a fan of that way, I'd recommend trying this one out too.  This stir fry is simple, it's healthy, and it's delicious.  There is a tad pit of a kick, but you can easily cut that back by cutting out the red pepper flakes or even cutting back on the sriracha.  As always, with stir fries, you don't have to use the same veggies I used here.  You are the cook...you can pick and choose what you want to use and what you don't want to use.  I promise I won't tell anyone :)

Spicy Beef Stir Fry
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
For the marinade:
1 Tablespoon Hoisin
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1-2 Tablespoons Sriracha
1.5 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
For the stir fry:
1 lb steak (I used flank steak), thinly sliced into strips
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips or chunks
1 small zucchini, cut into thin strips
1 clove of garlic, minced
For the sauce:
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons Sriracha
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch

Directions:
Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl.  Place the sliced steak into a Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over it.  Seal bag and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and as long as 4 hours.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.

In  large deep skillet or wok, heat the oil over high heat.  Add the steak and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes or until the beef is just starting to turn in color through out.  Add the peppers and stir fry for 1 minute.  Add the zucchini and stir fry another 1-2 minutes.  Add the garlic and let cook for 1 minute.  Pour the sauce over the beef and vegetables, stir to combine.  Cook until the sauce becomes thick and the beef and veggies are cooked to your liking.  Serve over rice and enjoy!


13 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Looks delicious! Don't the veggies look pretty in there!

megan said...

yum, I love stir fry! And good for you creating your own recipe - it looks delicious!

Stephen C said...

Until recently I would wonder why few of us ever just copied a recipe. Then it dawned on me: we're all too creative to be copy cats.

Yenta Mary said...

This is a perfect summer dish -- quick, easy, and a fabulous way to use up all that zucchini that gardens produce! By the way, you're welcome to stop by here for lunch anytime ... :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great looking stir-fry. It sounds delicious as well. Factor in the fact that it's a perfect summer meal and you have a real winner on your hands. I hope the day treats you well. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

I love recipes with a little kick! This looks like a keeper for me. Yummy!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

your beef stir fry looks so good!!! great job with those veggies....the shapes go well with the beef, and great colours....such a wonderful combination of flavors in your sauce too!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I heart stir fries!! Yummmmmy! Such a great way to cram a lot of veggies into a meal, too. I'm of the same thought too Jenn, cover something with some Sriracha and soy sauce & I'm a happy girl :)

Bo said...

Sounds like a great recipe...hats off to you for making your own recipe.

mr. pineapple man said...

yummmmmm (rubbing my tummy)~

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

One word...YUM!!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I'm here by way of Larry, the Big Dude :) This sounds like such a wonderful recipe and I can't wait to try it - thank you! I loved Larry's idea of grilling the meat first too.

Lea Ann (Highlands Ranch Foodie) said...

I'm here because of Larry's blog. I agree with your statement, it's been way too long since I've made stir fry, and we love it so. Nice blog, I'm a new subscriber.