Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

Potato Crusted Tilapia

How can you not love fish coated in potato chips?  What?  You thought because of the name they were coated in just regular potatoes?  Well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but, please don't let that stop you from trying this recipe.  Put it this way, Chris said he wasn't that excited about having to eat fish again this week (it was only the second time, and we haven't eaten fish more than once a week in a while, so there!!), but after having one bite, he was sorry he told me to only make him one piece!!  What's great about the potato chip coating is you completely forget this dish is baked.  You could swear it was deep fried..  ok, ok, so the chips are fried, hence the fried taste, but you know what I mean.  The chips give the fish a fried fish crunch.. and that is something special in my book :)

Let's not forget the sauce... (as if we could!!) the sauce is a recipe that has been highlighted here before - PoDunk Sauce - a fantastic little concoction from Chris at Nibble Me This, that I changed up just a tad bit.  Honestly, this sauce could go with just about anything!

Potato Crusted Tilapia
Adapted from Cook's Country Magazine
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large tilapia fillets
1 cup potato chips, crushed
salt and pepper
PoDunk Sauce (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray a non stick baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, mustard, lemon juice, and cayenne until well combined.  Rinse the tilapia fillets and pat them dry.  Place in prepared baking dish and spoon on mayo mixture evenly.  Top with crushed potato chips and season with salt and pepper.  Bake, uncovered, for 15-18 minutes, rotating the baking dish half way through, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  Remove from oven and serve with sauce if desired.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Thai Peanut Chicken Stir Fry
Two Years Ago:  Garlic Cheddar Fish

16 comments:

Big Dude said...

This sounds very good Jenn and I've got to try that sauce.

StephenC said...

With all the various chips out there, this has the possibility of a thousand variations. Must go back and read about Podunk.

Mom said...

Thanks, Jenn...now I know what we're having for supper tonight!

Debbie said...

We eat alot of talapia and will add this to the recipe box! Thanks for sharing Deb
http://healthycomfort.blogspot.com/

Cranberry Morning said...

LOL. Yeah, I saw the title and wondered what you were going to do with those potatoes. I envisioned mashed potatoes. But chips? Yes! They make a great crust!

Mary said...

Oh my gosh, you just reminded me how much I wanted to try that sauce! I bet it was awesome with the fish. Nice meal!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

THIS could be the one I try!! It's crispy and almost fried so I know the girl will love it, and there's a good chance I will too :) Yup. I'm gonna do it! I'm going to thaw my tilapia and make this!!!

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Love that "serve with sauce if desired"! As if you, or I, would ever serve it without sauce! I like the idea of getting the fried fish crunch without frying.

Yenta Mary said...

You cannot go wrong with potato chips in any form! On their own, with dip, chocolate-coated, baked onto fish ... :) A perfect food!

Pam said...

I've never thought to crust fish with potato chips. It looks tasty - especially with the sauce.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a good idea. It is also easy to do. I love the crunch and am intrigued by the sauce. I never leave here empty handed, Jenn. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Mom said...

Later that same day....We just got up from the dinner table & I had to tell you how good both the fish & sauce were!! The crunch of the chips was great, especially combined with the sauce! Your Dad said, "Put this on your 'Make Again' list.! High praise from him!

Chris said...

"How can you not love fish coated in potato chips?"

Well....because it is fish. :)

Candace said...

I thought you were going to put potato slices on the fish and I was interested to see how it turned out for you. We tried that with salmon and while it was very tasty, it was definitely not a pretty presentation. Your fish is though. I love that you coated it with potato chips. I'm thinking Zapps Jalapeno would be wonderful on fish. I've done that before with chicken; but have never considered doing it with fish. It looks fantastic, Jenn!

Lea Ann (Highlands Ranch Foodie) said...

I "make" us eat fish around here once a week, I'd probably get the same reaction if it ended up on the table two times. This looks delicious and I'm heading over to Chris's to look at that sauce.

Elizabeth said...

Potato anything and I'm on it!