Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sriracha Glazed Fish (with sauce of course)

Has this ever happened to you?  The picture above is the picture that went with the recipe I adapted here.  The picture below is what I made...following the recipe exactly, except for adding sesame seeds ...oh, and I used a different fish..but that's it.

Was it that I baked instead of broiled?  Was the first picture staged to make it look more appealing?  Either way, I just want it to be known, my picture may not be that lovely, but the fish sure tasted amazingly good!

Sriracha Glazed Fish
Adapted from Food & Wine
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
5 Tablespoons mayonnaise
3 teaspoons mirin (sweet rice wine), divided
3 teaspoons Sriracha, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
drop or two of sesame oil
4 tilapia fillets
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Directions:
In a small bowl, blend together the mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons of mirin, 2 teaspoons of sriracha, salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Place the tilapia in the prepared dish and top each piece with 1/2 tablespoon of the mixture.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

Meanwhile, take remaining Sriracha mixture and add 1 teaspoon of soy, 1 teaspoon of mirin, and 1 teaspoon of Sriracha.  Mix until well combined.  Serve along side the fish.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Spicy Caramel Chicken
Two Years Ago:  Snickers Pie

12 comments:

Big Dude said...

I thought that only happened to me - I'd guess the broilier

Anna's kitchen table said...

That's sounds so good Jenn, cooking mayo sounds a little unusual, but good..
I went to the Chinese supermarket the other day, found some Sriracha and immediately thought of you!! :))

StephenC said...

I suspect it's hard to get fish brown without overcooking it, unless maybe you're frying it. Don't know. Knowing you, however, I do know it would have tasted great.

Pam said...

It sounds really good, with the sauce of course! I love Sriracha added to sauces, just wish Bill liked the heat more than he does. My guess would be broiling for that look. I know I've stuck under-cooked fish under the broiler for a minute just for that reason. Yours looks good any way!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Tasty stuff in there Jenn! I hate it when my food doesn't turn out like the photos. My guess would be that the orig. photo has a sauce that was reduced prior to putting it onto the fish, fish cooked first then the thickened sauce or glaze slathered up on top. Sounds tasty, regardless of it's looks!

Yenta Mary said...

That fish must have some AMAZING flavor, from what I see in the ingredient list! I could do a little rant about photos - I've been criticized for some of mine, and they're really hard to do. Even some foods that look gorgeous in real life don't photograph well. I don't have Photoshop, and take issue with those who use it; I want folks to know precisely what they're going to get, because otherwise you feel as though you did something wrong if your dish isn't as much of a supermodel as the picture you saw. For example, I made peanut butter milkshakes awhile ago; they look kinda grey by the time the peanut butter got mixed in with other ingredients. I could have tweaked the colors, but then someone would have wondered why theirs didn't look like mine. So show the fish in all its gorgeous authenticity!!! I still think it looks/sounds fabulous ... :)

Pam said...

I think your picture looks great. I am sure the difference was the broiling but I bet yours was perfectly cooked & theirs was overcooked ;-).

Mary Bergfeld said...

...and the test of any dish is the way it tastes. So I think we can say "you done good." It really sounds delicious. Have a great evening, Jenn. Blessings...Mary

Mary said...

This sounds great and I think your picture looks much more appetizing. Saucy totally works for me!

For what it is worth, I would MUCH rather see a real picture myself. Maybe it's because I just don't have patience to play with photo editing, but I say stick to reality with food photography.

I'm guessing it's the broiling vs baking too!

Chris said...

Yeah, the broil vs bake would cause some difference in color. Could the picture have been staged? If it was from a magazine, it absolutely was. They have whole teams of food stylists that tweak everything.

Unknown said...

happens to me many times Jenn. I stopped comparing to the original pictures now. Especially in cookbooks where they have professional photographer and stylist.
Your glazed fish looks delicious. Lovely flavours there. Yum...

Candace said...

I have the same issues that you do frequently when making a recipe that someone else has featured online. Even though yours doesn't look like the other one, I think it looks fantastic and with all of those ingredients, it must have been a winner. You just can't go wrong with Sriracha. Ever.