Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Korean Grilled Chicken

I was introduced to Korean barbecue quite a few years ago, but I still remember the impact the meal had on me.  I remember it being spicy and full of flavor. I remember standing there, watching these guys grill the meat right there in front of me.  It was a bit magical at the time, let me tell you.  Now, I've had Korean BBQ many times since then and I can't say I have ever had that same feeling again, but I do still love it and now I've found a way to enjoy it right at home.  This is my little tribute to that first meal I had.  It's simple, it's spicy, and it's full of flavor.

Korean Grilled Chicken
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons mirin
4 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, divided
couple drops of sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tablespoon Sambal Oelek (garlic chili paste)

Directions:
Mix the mirin, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic clove, and jalapeno together in a small bowl.  Place the chicken in a resealable bag and pour the marinade over it.  Seal bag and place in refrigerator for 2-4 hours.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees F and oil the grill grates.  In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and the Sambal Oelek until well combined; set aside.

Place the chicken directly over the fire and grill 8-10 minutes per side or until the chicken reaches 160-165 degrees.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 3 minutes before serving.  Serve with sauce and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Mustard Roasted Potatoes
Two Years Ago:  Honey Mustard Chicken

11 comments:

Big Dude said...

I'll have to make this for our kids who were stationed in Korea for 3 years and loved the flavors of the food.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Korean food is one that I've never tried. When I first heard about it when I was a teen I heard it was screamin on fire hot, and I'm wimpy (even moreso back in the dizzay!) so immediately I was turned off the idea of even trying it. That habit stayed until, oh, nowish. But after seeing this, and reading the ingredients, I change my song. From ew to WOW I have to make that soon! Looks delicious Jenn!!

StephenC said...

Yes, Andrea, you need to get over the Korean thing and make this. You know we can trust Jenn. ???

Unknown said...

divine!... I love the sweetness... so good!

Cranberry Morning said...

That looks wonderful. And has it really been two years ago since you posted about honey mustard chicken? We've had it several times since then! Yea JFJ! A great place to go for recipes we love.♥ I'll have to track down Sambal Oelek.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

What a fun and simple way to enjoy exotic Korean BBQ at home! Great recipe, Jenn.

Yenta Mary said...

Sigh ... :) There are no words, just sighing ....

michael said...

i think i've been missing out here. i never tried korean barbecue!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks beautiful and we love Korean food. That should be no surprise as two of our children are Korean :-). I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Candace said...

Another gorgeous meal, Jenn! I've never had Korean BBQ; but, with my love of Asian food and grilled meat, this is the perfect flavor combo for me. Yum!

Chris said...

Excellent post, Jenn. The recipe has all the notes that I love, especially the mirin and chili paste.