Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Beef Stew with Beer and Paprika

I know, I know.. it doesn't really look like a stew does it?  More like a beef soup rather than a stew - and trust me, I was just as disappointed as you are.  I will say, though, that the flavors were spot on and it's definitely worth trying... just be in the mood for soup, instead of stew :)

Now, my mom will read this post and freak out - ok, maybe freak out is a bit of an exaggeration, but, she will be surprised if nothing else.  You see, when I was a kid, when my mom would make beef stew, I had the option of eating it, or going to my room without any dinner.  I always went to my room.  As I got older, the only beef stew I would eat was Dinty Moore and that was only when I was camping.  So, why, at 38 years old did I have a craving for beef stew?  I have no idea.  Maybe it was the fact that it had beer in it?  All I know is that one day I wanted beef stew and that was that.  Maybe I finally just grew up?

This is a recipe I found on The Pioneer Woman's blog.  In her directions she talks about the stew getting too thick and adding more liquid.  I used 3/4 less liquid than her original recipe called for .. AND I used a slurry.. and still, I got a soup consistency rather than a stew.  My suggestion, if you want it thicker, use less liquid than I have even used here.  Either way, I think you will definitely enjoy the flavors if nothing else.

Beef Stew with Beer and Paprika
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 small sweet onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
6 oz beer (I used Bud Light)
4 cups beef stock
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 whole carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
3/4 lbs creamer potatoes, halved or quartered

Directions:
Heat oil and butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.  Now add the stew meat to the pot and cook until the meat has been browned, about 5 minutes.  Pour in the beer and beef stock and stir to combine.  Add the Worcestershire, tomato paste, paprika, salt, pepper, and sugar; stir to combine.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Add the carrots and potato to the stew, cover, and coo, an additional 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.  Taste for seasoning.  If your soup is too thin, mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water and add to soup - bring back to a boil and let cook for another minute or so until the soup has thickened.  Serve in bowls with warm, crusty bread and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Honey Hot Tilapia
Two Years Ago:  BONUS: Super Bowl Countdown Extra!


13 comments:

Unknown said...

beef soup... GOOOOOD!!!!!!!!

Big Dude said...

Sometimes they just don't turn out as desired, but good that it was still very tasty.

StephenC said...

I've made many a beef/barley soup and I'm here to tell you it's a marvelous thing. Taste is indeed what matters. (Maybe the beef didn't like your brand of beer. LOL)

Anonymous said...

Well I LOVE the flavors and the use of beer - nothing wrong with beef soup - delicious!
Mary x

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Soup, stew, whatever it's called it looks GOOD! As a former Dinty Moore beef stew consumer I salute you for making your own :) good stuff, eh? Beer stew is always delicious!

Mary said...

This sounds perfect. Soup or stew, the flavors sound great to me.

Candace said...

Stew or soup or whatever you want to call it....I think it looks delicious! I bet this smelled amazing as it was cooking. I was just looking at a similar recipe (not PW's) and have had it on my mind ever since. Your recipe just reinforces that craving. I've never been a big beef stew fan either; but, in my opinion, beef and beer make the perfect combination.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jenn, how much stew meat did you use? Soup or stew, this looks wonderful and I'm sure it was delicious. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Mom said...

My life is complete! My daughter FINALLY likes beef stew! But, you can't fool me...it's the beer!! And, yes, I was taken by surprise when I saw today's post!!

Pam said...

I looks good to me - who care if it's thick!

Cranberry Morning said...

I bet if you reduced the amount of beef stock to a cup, you would get stew instead of soup. Either way, the flavors sound wonderful.

Chris said...

Maybe instead of "simmer for 2-4 hours" she meant simmer for 24 hours? ha ha ha ha, j/k

Unknown said...

nothing wrong with beef soup :)
It still looks so good.