Search This Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thai Peanut Chicken Stir Fry

Ok, so I've been on a bit of a peanut kick lately.  I can't help it.  There is just something about it that I'm hooked on right now!

This is one of the best peanut chicken stir fries I've made.  Though I have not posted any of them, I have tried a ton...none of them really hit the mark.  One was far too peanut buttery...thick and made your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth.  One was not peanut buttery enough...lack of any flavor.  But this one.. this was spot on.  At least for what Chris and I were looking for.  It might not be perfect for everyone, but I do believe it's at least a starting point recipe.  You can add a little of this, add a little less of that... play with it.  Seriously, you have my permission.. play with your food :)

And I have a confession to make before I go:  I did not use the velveting technique again even though I swore I would do it next time I did a stir fry (I was in a hurry...I didn't have time to wait...I'm sorry).  I lucked out this time, though, my chicken was nice and moist and tender, but if you are wanting a truly velvety piece of chicken, please add this velveting step to the directions!


Thai Peanut Chicken Stir Fry
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
6  Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Sriracha
3 Tablespoons water
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 zucchini, cut into moons
1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, thinly sliced
1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts

Directions:
Mix together the first 9 ingredients (peanut butter through water), until smooth (You can do this in a food processor if you want, it might be easier); set aside.

In a deep skillet, add the olive oil. Heat over medium-high heat and add the chicken.  Quickly stir fry about 3 minutes.  Add the pepper and cook another two minutes.  Add the zucchini and stir fry 1-2 minutes longer or until the veggies are to your liking.  Add the sauce and stir.  Cook until the sauce is thickened and heated through.  Serve over rice. Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Garlic Cheddar Fish

25 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, that looks so good! Excellent flavor, beautiful colors ... sigh ... :)

Angie's Recipes said...

yes, I like the idea of playing with food...being creative!
This looks flavourful and delightful!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Peanut sauce on a stir fry is one of the best flavors ever. Hands down! This one looks really good, not too thick and gooey like some PB sauces can be. JENN! NO velveting?!? The horrors LOL :) Despite the lack of velveting (LOL!!) it looks amazing and I want some for breakfast :) Great veggies, too, yum :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I love it that you've done all the experimentation so that I don't have to. It looks delicious, and I'll take your word for it that it is! I'm so glad that someone discovered the lowly peanut growing underground eons ago.

Mary Bergfeld said...

You put all the best flavors of Thai cooking in one place. This really sounds delicious and has whetted my appetite for things Thai today. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Roxan said...

I keep telling myself that I'm going to make a peanut stir fry but for some reason I never get around to it! This one looks great though, and I love how versatile it is. you can put almost any meat or veggie in it. Yum!

StephenC said...

Ummm, peanut butter. That pleases me.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Peanut butter rocks! I'd love it in stir fry! Thanks!

Pam said...

Mmmm. I think this would be perfect for dinner tonight.

Unknown said...

I love the creaminess here. Just wonderful, Jenn. All wonderful flavours on a plate.
I'll be cooking this soon too. And playing with food is my favourite game. :)

Cranberry Morning said...

How about this for quick followup: I made your recipe (above) for dinner tonight. We LOVED IT!! I didn't have the Sriracha, so I substituted with Mongolian Fire Oil. SO delicious!! I'll definitely make this again. Thanks. :-)

Unknown said...

You can not over do the PEANUT! Keep em coming girlfriend!!! XO

JR/Mike said...

I LOVE peanut butter and I love stir frys, not sure why I haven't put the 2 together yet. This looks super delicious. I actually have all the ingredients so this will probably be a meal for my girlfriend and I this weekend!
Thanks

Arthur said...

I love Thai food and I have been making curries or soups for awhile. This post just reminded me that I should totally make some peanut stir fry. I really like the way you get creative with your recipes and "play with your food". I try to do the same in the kitchen.

Chris said...

You are killing me today, Jenn. I have bookmarked everything so far. Cut that out, I'll never be able to try all of these, ha ha.

Seriously, you are on fire this week.

Cheap Gold for WOW said...

This is between one of the most advantageous peanut chicken stir fries I've made. although I have not posted any of them, I have attempted a ton...none of them in reality strike the mark.
I have play the wow for a long times and have some good advice for you to get the best World Of Warcraft Gold with goods ways, I also have the best ways for you of the Cheap Aion Kina, please don't hesitate !

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Goodness. This is so amazingly delicious! I make it without the chicken and serve it over whole wheat egg noodles, but the sauce! Whoah! SO yummy! Thanks SO much!

Amelia said...

easy and delicious peanut sauce! thanks for the recipe, i will definitely be making it again!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, Amelia - I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

ann said...

Sounds delicious! How many people would this recipe serve?

Unknown said...

Hi Ann, this would serve 2-3 people.
Thanks
Jenn

ADB said...

Hey, just made this. it was freaking amazing! i didnt have sriracha, and true enough, it was missing some. but you were right about the texture, it was fantastic! thank you! :D

Unknown said...

ADB - so glad you enjoyed it! Yes, Srircha does add to it, but if it tastes good even without it, then it was a success for sure! Thanks for stopping by!

Alison said...

Hi Jenn! I have made this many times and it's SO delish!! I was thinking of subbing the chicken for shrimp tonight... do you think this would work well?

Unknown said...

Hi Alison, sorry it took me so long to respond... But yes, I think shrimp would work just as well as the chicken! Hope you try it and let me know how it goes.