Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mango Yogurt Marinated Chicken with Smashed Potatoes

I don't know about you, but it makes me feel good when someone asks my opinion on food.  I seriously don't consider myself a great cook - a good cook, yes, but great??  I don't think so, I mean I know I still have a ton more to learn.  So, when someone asks ME what I would do if I was going to make something a certain way.. I feel pretty dang cool :)

While trying to decide what to do with some chicken wings, Stephen (The Obsessive Chef), asked me if I had any ideas on a glaze for them.  He explained to me that he was going to use Indian spices on the chicken and my mind went immediately to mango!  For some reason, those two always go together.  Check out Stephen's recipe HERE.

Well, I of course didn't have the exact spice he used, so I figured I'd make my own little concoction.  The only thing I would have done different would have been to add a tiny bit of turmeric instead of the curry powder.  I didn't think I had turmeric, so I left it out, only to find out two days later that I did indeed have turmeric, I just didn't look deep enough in the cabinet!  Oh well.. this was still a really fantastic meal!

What helped make it so delicious, were the very simple, very wonderful smashed potatoes (first seen on For the Love of Cooking).  Mine don't look that pretty.. sort of plain.. but they were ever so delicious.  Did I mention how simple they were to make too?  Only thing I will do differently next time (cause there will be a next time) is to add some parmesan cheese right after taking them out of the oven.

Mango Yogurt Marinated Chicken
Adapted from Stephen, The Obsessive Chef
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup mango chutney
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 garlic clove, finely minced
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the chicken, until well combined.  Remove 3 Tablespoons of the sauce for later, pour the remaining over the chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees F and oil the grill grates.  Place the chicken on the grill and cover.  Grill 6-8 minutes per side or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 3-4 minutes before serving.  Serve with reserved sauce.  Enjoy!

Smashed Potatoes
Recipe courtesy Pam, The Love of Cooking
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
10-12 Dutch yellow baby potatoes
olive oil
garlic salt
fresh cracked pepper

Directions:
Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes or until fork tender.  Drain and allow to cool a bit.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Place one potato at a time on a paper towel.  Fold the paper towel over the potato and carefully smash the potato with the palm of your hand.  Place on a baking sheet and continue smashing each potato.  Drizzle with olive oil and season with garlic salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, carefully flip the potatoes and continue roasting an additional 10 minutes.  Carefully remove from oven and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Apple Chipotle Pork Chops
Two Years Ago:  Devil's Food Cake Cookies


15 comments:

Big Dude said...

Creative meal Jenn - next time I'm in Phoenix, I'll come buy and rate your cooking for a week or so. Except when Bev is using them a lot, we keep our spices in alphabetical order - helps us find them easy and not end up with several containers of the same ones.

Yenta Mary said...

Of course someone would ask your opinion! You know about grilling, smoking, sauces, spices ... you are absolutely a "go to" girl!!! :)

Mary said...

I love those crash potatoes! I tried them the same night that I first saw them online. YUM! Your sauce looks awesome and for what it's worth, I have come and looked up ideas here numerous times. You are my sauce girl! ;)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Both these recipes sound delicious. I love how yogurt tenderizes chicken and yours is also beautifully seasoned. It looks scrumptious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Mango and Indian flavors are a match made in heaven! Sounds really tasty. I have a similar turmeric issue here, I thought I was out so I bought more and wow, I have 3 bottles worth now! Looks like I need to make some Indian food soon :) The smashed potatoes are so cute, I love them that way, all the crusty outside of a baked potato and the smooth creamy inside of a baby potato. Win :)

Cranberry Morning said...

Please send me some of this right now. This is another one of those 'Jenn' recipes that's going in my Documents file! Mango yogurt, how delicious! And Jenn, where did you get this violent streak that you've taken to smashing the potatoes? lol

StephenC said...

How nice to be "borrowed."

Unknown said...

looks wonderful Jenn! I can't tell you how many times I haven't dug deep enough into the cabinet and then end up buying more of a spice I already have! I end up with like 3 cumins and 0 of something else! Thanks for sharing this delicius recipe!

Pam said...

What a great combination of flavors... love the mango!! Don't you just love those smashed potatoes? We really dig them here. Thanks for the shout out and link back to my site.

Pam said...

This sounds really good! And I fully understand why someone would ask you about cooking; you're great at it!

Jana ★ said...

Tiene una pinta estupenda.
Un besito ^^
http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

Lea Ann (Highlands Ranch Foodie) said...

I love this type of flavor combination. Sounds delicious. And you bet, I love it when people ask me how to make something, or what I'd do with a recipe.

Candace said...

Yum! Mango is one of my most favorite flavors. The chicken looks fantastic and will be on our menu soon. Thanks for reminding me about those potatoes. We call them "ugly potatoes" around here because mine never turn out pretty; but they always turn out amazing. We love them!

Bo said...

My spices are a disaster...I can never find anything. I love the flavors in this chicken.

Chris said...

Fantastic, Jenn! I love everything about this one.