Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pistachio Crusted Tilapia

My dad is a hard man to buy gifts for - like most fathers, I'm sure.  And, like most fathers, once we found out what he liked, he pretty much got that every time he received a gift from us.  One of the things he loves are pistachio nuts.  I remember we would buy him 5 pound bags for Christmas and his birthday.  I am pretty sure I helped him eat most of those bags, because, I pretty much loved anything my dad did.  Yes, I was daddy's little girl and I remember many afternoons snacking on pistachios or pepper jack cheese and crackers or even smoked oysters with my dad.  Those are such wonderful memories.  So, when I saw this recipe for pistachio crusted fish, I just knew I had to make it as a homage to my dad.  And I just know, he would love this one!

And, or course, I served this with a little honey mustard sauce - as if you are shocked by this news :)

Pistachio Crusted Tilapia
Adapted from Robin Miller, The Food Network
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon honey
3/4 cup shelled pistachio nuts
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4 tilapia fillets

Directions:
In a bowl, mix together the Dijon, mayo, and honey.  Remove 2 tablespoons and cover and refrigerate remaining sauce until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In a food processor, add the pistachios, oregano, thyme, and garlic powder.  Process until finely chopped (I left mine on the not so finely chopped side because I wanted more texture).  Rinse tilapia, pat dry and place in baking dish sprayed with non stick cooking spray.  Spread the 2 tablespoons of the honey mustard sauce evenly over each piece of fish.  Top with pistachio mixture.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  Serve with remaining honey mustard sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Jamaican-Spiced Chicken
Two Years Ago:  Super Bowl Coutdown...Take Three: Chili

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could do this. I've been on a pistacchio tear the last couple of weeks. Can't walk by the jar without dipping in. This tilapia may soon be in my future.

Mom said...

Oh, gosh! Now I know what I'm making your Dad for supper!! Sounds wonderful!

Mary said...

This look great. I bet my husband and my kids would be giddy over it. They eat pistachios every chance they get.

Cranberry Morning said...

That's a nice herb combination - and who can go wrong with pistachios! Love those things, although I've killed a few fingernails trying to get them open. lol

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Pistachios on fish, yum! I have to show Caity this one, she LOVES pistachios, and well, fish :) I have to seriously LOL about the smoked oysters, Brian LOVES them too!!!! I had never heard of them until we moved in together. Must be a NE thing cause this MI girl was totally unfamiliar w smoked oysters until then. And speaking of which, I found a GREAT deal on said smoked oysters yesterday, $.99 a can! I know you care LOL

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds delicious and I love the way you have used the pistachios.This sounds like a real winner. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Shoutforfood said...

I am drooling over those tempting pics.

Debbie said...

Love this recipe. Always looking for different things to do with fish so my husband eats it and talapia is his favorite! I am a follower of your blog now! Deb@ healthycomfort.blogspot.com

Pam said...

How funny. My dad loves pistachio nuts and I gave him a huge bag for Christmas every year. The tilapia looks creative and delicious.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, it looks fabulous! It even looks a bit like a heart, just for Dad, with love ... :)

Candace said...

What a great idea, Jenn! I would have never thought to coat fish with those yummy little morsels. It looks delicious!

Chris said...

ha! Look at you and I both doing a tribute to our parents this week. I promise I wasn't copying you;)