Search This Blog

Friday, February 3, 2012

Shrimp and Red Pepper Pesto Pizza

I proclaim this to be the best pizza I have ever made! The flavors were so wonderful that it was hard to stop eating.  And, THAT, my friends, is a sign of any good meal.

This is a very simple pizza to throw together, even on a busy week night.  I guess that's what I love about pizza anyway, it's always that go to meal when I'm feeling stressed and really don't want to put a lot of time and effort into making dinner.  (Ok, that and pasta, what can I say?) I take short cuts, sure, but why not?  I really don't have the time or the patience to make homemade dough all the time, so why not find a good pre-made dough and stick with it?  Makes an easy meal even easier.

Shrimp and Red Pepper Pesto Pizza
Adapted from Macheesm
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 garlic clove, quartered
1 (7oz) jar roasted red peppers, drained (reserve at least 2 Tbls of the oil just in case you need to thin out the pesto)
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
6-8 fresh basil leaves
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
ball of dough for a 12-14 inch pizza
1/2 pound large (16/20) shrimp, peeled, deveined, and roughly chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
2 Tablespoons caramelized onions, chopped or thinly sliced
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
In a food processor, add the garlic, roasted peppers, parmesan, basil, olive oil, sugar, and red pepper flakes.  Process until almost smooth, or leave chunky if you like (it's all a matter of taste).  If the pesto is too thick, add some of the reserve oil from the jarred peppers.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Stretch the dough to desired size and place on baking sheet.  Spread pesto over the dough.  Top with shrimp, chopped red pepper, caramelized onions, and cheese.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese and melted and bubbly.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for 4-5 minutes before cutting.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Spicy Potato Soup
Two Years Ago:  Leek Potato Soup

17 comments:

raquel@eRecipe.com said...

they look delicious, I hope I could made one this weekend.

StephenC said...

I think I've said before that shrimp could be my desert island food. But then there's pizza. What to do?

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Never ever thought to put shrimp on a pizza. It's like pizza heaven!! Then you went and put caramelized onions on it...drool drool drool!! Sounds great, I'll have to keep this easy dinner in mind :)

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

This sounds wonderful, Jenn! I always put red bell peppers on my pizzas, but not in the sauce. Will give that a go next time. I'd love to have a slice right this minute (well, let's be honest, THREE slices)!

Pam said...

I am loving the flavors on this pizza... I bet it WAS hard to stop eating it.

Mary said...

Wow. I love your proclamation here. Best pizza ever, is my kind of recommendation. This sounds delicious!

© said...

I don't understand why your best dishes always seem to get the least amount of comments. Maybe everyone rushed off to make it!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, the flavors on this would be so amazing! It looks so, so tempting ... :)

Big Dude said...

I'm not surprised it was your best have as you had me with the title. It sounds awesome.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Now I know that I'd love to have a piece of this,Jenn. It sounds wonderful. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Debbie said...

Oh there is just nothing like a good slice of pizza! I love pizza - it's the ultimate comfort food to me. Never had it with shrimp and it sounds just great Jenn!

Candace said...

That looks soooo good! I bet that Red Pepper Pesto is just a party on your tongue.

Cranberry Morning said...

What in the world could be better than red pepper pesto!! What a treat! Have a great weekend, Jenn.

Chris said...

Nice thick deep dish!

Pam said...

Way to go, Jenn! What a winner this recipe is, thanks!

turmericnspice said...

i love pizza and i agree it can make an awesome weenight meal !! first time at your blog - u have a nice space here :)

Unknown said...

I love shrimps on pizza. This looks just fantastic. I wouldn't be able to stop eating this pizza as well.