Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Double Trouble

 
I work with a lot of foodies and I love it!  Every now and then, when we are waiting for a meeting to start, or just taking a quick break from our hectic day, we talk food.  One day, before a meeting, Roger, one of the owners, tells us of something his dad made when he was a kid - he called it Double Trouble.  Roger starts to explain to us that his dad would take an English muffin, spread butter on it, top it with liverwurst, and last but not least, top it all with a nice fried egg!  Ok, for a lot of people, you just read liverwurst and started to back away slowly from your computers.  Not me, I love liverwurst, I grew up eating it, so to me, this sounded wonderful!!  I was instantly thinking about picking up liverwurst the next time I was at the store.  And that's exactly what I did.

Why the name Double Trouble?  Well, Roger wasn't certain as to why his dad called it that, but I liked the name and thought if I was going to give the recipe true justice, I would stick with it.

Now for some, I know this will not appeal to you.. heck, some of you may have never even heard of liverwurst before... but if you are a liverwurst fan, you must try this.  It was such a delicious little treat that I kick myself for not thinking of it on my own!  Next time I make it though - and there will be a next time - I will cook the egg to over medium at the most and I will add cheese.  I think a little cheese would have made it even that much better!  Oh, and I did not use butter on the English muffin.. I was too excited and just dropped the liverwurst and egg right on it before I had a chance to do it.. you can add it if you want, or leave it out.. I don't think it really made that much of a difference.

Thanks, Roger - I hope I did your father proud!

Double Trouble
Inspired by Roger and his father
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
English muffin
slice of liverwurst
1 egg

Directions:
Fry egg to your desired liking - over easy, over medium, over hard.  (I actually cooked mine just a tad bit longer than I wanted, but that's ok.)  Toast English muffin.


Top toasted English muffin with sliced liverwurst and top the liverwurst with fried egg.  Place top of English muffin on top and dig in!  It's simple.. it's delicious.. Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Parmesan Garlic Tilapia
Two Years Ago:  Stuffed Chicken Breasts

14 comments:

Jana ★ said...

Te ha quedado de maravilla, que pinta!!
Un besito!
http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

Big Dude said...

I like it. I'm a fan of liverwurst and can't believe I've never tried this - but I'll fix that. I think I would fry the meat a little and after flipping, add some cheese and a lid to melt the cheese, then assemble - it can be called triple trouble :-)

StephenC said...

Peter is going to love this - and so will I.

Becki's Whole Life said...

I love liverwurst! Maybe it's the german in me? this sounds fabulous - I can imagine how it would go wonderfully with an egg and english muffin. My mom makes a liverwurst spread with cream cheese that is addictive, too. Now that you have me thinking about it I need to e-mail her for the recipe:-)

Debbie said...

That sounds so good...Love liverwurst just eating it by the slice and they now sell low fat liverwurst here!

Cranberry Morning said...

Wow, I haven't had liverwurst for years, but I loved that stuff when I was a kid! How fun to see it highlighted in Double Trouble. :-) And you're right: some people back away just at the word 'liverwurst.' lol

Victor said...

I love all kind of sausages even haggis, I'm pretty sure I won't back down on liverwurst.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Never had liverwurst. However I am a big fan of breakfast sandwiches on english muffins, so I can see how this'd be good. I'm with Big Dude, fry that meat first, over easy egg with a runny yolk (yummy) and some cheese. Sounds delicious!

Pam said...

I haven't had liverwurst since I was a kid... this sandwich looks tasty to me.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love liverwurst, so this would be right up my alley, though I would like the egg to be less set. If ever I reach my goal weight, I'll definitely give this a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Mary said...

I have never tried it before, but my husband speaks fondly of the liverwurst from his childhood. I might have to surprise him and pick some up! I adore breakfast sandwiches, with a nice runny egg, YUM!

Lea Ann (Highlands Ranch Foodie) said...

I've never had liverwurst, so have no idea if I like it or not. Next time I see it at the deli, I'll have to ask for a sample. But I do know that I love egg sandwiches on E. Muffins. Have it on occasion for breakfast.

Chris said...

I never have tasted liverwurst only because I have a severe aversion to liver. I know it's not the same thing but just the word liver makes me shiver, ha ha.

Candace said...

I have to say that I saw your photo and wished that I had been a little more creative with breakfast today. I had cereal. I, then, read liverwurst and became a little unsure. Yes, I'm one of those people. haha