Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Smoked Pepper Tilapia

Now don't run away.. just because the name of the recipe starts off with smoked, does not mean that you have to have a smoker to make this.... so stay, sit back... find out what this fish is really all about :)

Besides the fact that I over cook the fish just a tiny, tiny bit - In my want to make sure it was cooked, I went a little too far - it was still delicious!  Spicy and smokey - it was .. wait, I already said delicious, so I'm going to go with wonderful!  The only thing this was missing was a little LEMON AIOLI.  That would have given it a nice little zing while cooling down the spice just a bit.

My method of cooking this fish was on the grill, but don't worry, you can easily do this in the oven or even in a frying pan on the stove top.  If you bake it, I would recommend 375-400 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes.  Just make sure the fish flakes easily with a fork when it's done.

Smoked Pepper Tilapia
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 large Tilapia fillets
1 1/2 Tablespoons chipotle puree
1/2 red sweet potato, roughly chopped
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 large garlic clove, quartered
1/4 teaspoon salt
lemon aioli (optional)

Directions:
In a blender or food processor, add all of the ingredients EXCEPT the tilapia.  Cover and pulse until pureed.  Rinse the fish and place in a shallow dish.  Pour the marinade over the fish, cover, and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to one hour.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees F.  Spray a grill sheet with non-stick cooking spray and place on the heated grill.  Shake off any excess marinade from the fish and place on prepared grill sheet.  Cover the grill and allow to grill for 15 minutes, turning the grill sheet at least once, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  Carefully remove from grill.  Serve with lemon aioli if desired.  Enjoy!

(Nutritional facts per serving (1 fillet): 199 calories, 4g fat, 55mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate, 36g protein)

One Year Ago:  Grilled Parmesan Corn on the Cob

7 comments:

StephenC said...

Okay, so the tilapia I made last night was really good. I'll do it again.

Pam said...

It looks really tasty - I bet it would have been extra good with the lemon aioli!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I really like this recipe. I have tilapia and cat fish in the freezer and need to us it up. This sounds like a great way to do it. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the marinade you made...very delicious and different.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Looks good. You know how I love tilapia these days! :) But you know exactly where yours comes from. BIG POINTS FOR JENN!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Unknown said...

Beautiful colour on the tilapia Jenn and delicious marinade. Must be so tasty with lemon aioli.

Chris said...

I like how you did the indirect cook on the grill, that is nice touch.