Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

Spice Rubbed Ribs with Chipotle-Honey Glaze

I think I have finally perfected the art of grilling ribs.  I don't normally toot my own horn (TOOT TOOT!) but, these ribs were probably the best I have made since I started grilling.  Seriously.  Best ever.  There I said it.

Alright, I didn't create the recipe, but I did execute it superbly, if I do say so myself. These ribs were incredibly flavorful and the meat pulled off of the bone perfectly - and I do mean perfectly.  You see, Chris and I were watching a barbecue competition of some kind on the Food Network and one of the judges said that the sign of a really good rib is that the meat doesn't just fall of the bone, but when you bite on it, the meat pulls smoothly away from the bone, leaving the bone fairly clean.  THAT is what happened with these ribs.

I don't know what else to say about them other than ... they were A-MAZE-ING!!!

Spice Rubbed Ribs with Chipotle-Honey Glaze
Adapted from Bobby Flay
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 Tablespoon Spanish paprika
1 Tablespoon pepper
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon Aleppo peppers (can substitute red pepper flakes)
1 rack baby back or pork back ribs
1/2 cup honey
2 Tablespoons chipotle puree (to make puree, place whole can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce into food processor and pulse until pureed)

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix the first 9 ingredients together until well combined.  Rinse of the ribs and pat dry.  Rub the mixture all over both sides of the ribs, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator for 6 hours.

When ribs are ready to grill, preheat grill to 375 degrees F.  Mix together the honey and the chipotle puree (taste to make sure you have the right heat and sweet).  Remove the ribs from the plastic wrap and place on a sheet of aluminum foil.  Brush half of the honey mixture on the ribs and wrap them up.  Place over indirect heat on the grill and allow to cook for 1 hour.  Remove the ribs from the foil and place over direct heat for another 15-20 minutes, basting with the remaining glaze in the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.  Enjoy!
 
One Year Ago:  Grilled Chicken with Yogurt, Hot Pepper, and Garlic

10 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Yum, you toot away!
they look great!

debbie said...

My husband and son would go nuts for these ribs! They are huge rib fans. There is a BBQ cook off we go to every year in DC. I could see these there! Have a great weekend!

Chris said...

You are correct about the "clean bite" being properly done versus "falling off the bone". Your rib in the picture looks amazingly good. I've only ever grilled ribs once in my life (I always smoke them), I'll have to try this one out.

StephenC said...

As you know, I don't have a grill. I have made some really good ribs in the oven and I've been watching for a good deal at the market. Soon, I hope.

Cranberry Morning said...

And those ribs DO look superb, Jenn!! :-) I have a charcoal grill that has one leg that keeps coming off. But we still grill...and stand by with a water hose. lol

Big Dude said...

It's hard to beat A-MAZE-ING!!! ribs and they sure do look delicious. I like the flavors you've brought5 together and I believe I'll try it on a smoked slab next week, perhaps finished on the grill.

Cheeseboy said...

I am not a big ribs fan, but these sound just good enough to change my mind.

Unknown said...

That ribs look so succulent. Absolutely brilliant. I love ribs and I don't eat enough of it. That needs to change! :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

They certainly look and sound A-MAZE-ING!!! I'd love to have a plate of them. You are brilliant :-). Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Yes, Jenn, you did execute that recipe superbly! Just look at 'em--a beautiful crust and yet not the least bit burnt--perfection!