Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summer Veggie Pasta with Yogurt Lemon Sauce

This lovely little pasta dish may look like so many before it, but it's different, trust me. This recipe is full of flavor and deliciousness and was totally thought up by The College Culinarian.

I love Katie's site, I've said this before.  The girl has imagination in the kitchen (and her posts are hilarious, by the way)... imagination and no fear.  It's a fantastic combination.  A combination that not only comes up with some interesting and delicious meals, but also some handy little tips like how to make a tortilla bowl in the microwave.  Pretty fantastic if you ask me :)

Anyway, this was a fantastic pasta dish.  Simple and tasty and it utilizes two vegetables that are amazing this time of year.  You can always add other vegetables if you want, but I like what was used in the original recipe so I decided to stay true to it.  Delicious!

Summer Veggie Pasta with Yogurt Lemon Sauce
Adapted from The College Culinarian
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
12 oz whole grain penne pasta
1 zucchini, cut lengthwise and then cut into moons
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 - 5oz can albacore tuna, drained
2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon freshly chopped basil
1 Tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
2 teaspoons freshly snipped chives

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.

In a skillet, add the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the tomatoes and zucchini and saute for 3-4 minutes or until the veggies begin to soften.  Remove from heat and pour over pasta.  Add the tuna, yogurt, parmesan and lemon juice, tossing to coat.  Toss in the fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper.  Use any reserved pasta water if the pasta is too dry.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Pork Chops with Spice Paste

13 comments:

StephenC said...

I would Barilla Plus pasta, which is 50% standard and 50% whole grain. This is perfect for summer.

Cranberry Morning said...

This is a PERfect summertime dish, and I was wondering what I was going to make for dinner tonight. Now I know. I have all the ingredients! Thanks, Jenn. :-)

Jewels said...

Looks fantastic! Have you ever tried Quinoa pasta? I just tried it for the first time last night and it's fantastic! Also Gluten free.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yet another awesome recipe to use up zucchini and tomatoes. Now if my garden would just get on with the producing of said veggies I'd be eating this soon! Alas...

I agree with you Jenn, the College Culinarian is a great blog, lots of fun and totally droolworthy :)

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, it sounds absolutely perfect for summer!!! And what gorgeous, enticing colors ... :)

Cheeseboy said...

Cool about the tortilla bowl. I'll have to try it. The recipe sounds delish too!

Katie said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I love your addition of tuna. Actually, I love anything involving cheap canned meats. Ha!

Unknown said...

This looks scrumptious

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I'm totally going to make this tonight!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely summer pasta. It looks scrumptious. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

SnoWhite said...

Great idea -- this dish looks wonderful.

Unknown said...

What lovely summery pasta dish Jenn. Looks scrumptious.

Chris said...

Zucchini is a good veggie substitute for meat and it works well in this one, Jenn.