Search This Blog

Friday, July 8, 2011

Asian Meatball Subs with Hoisin Mayonnaise

Hands down, this is one of the best meals we've had in the last month.  I saw the original recipe in one of my Food Network Magazines and knew immediately that I was going to have to make it.

This was one of those meals that I couldn't stop thinking about.  One of those meals where I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into it.  One of those meals that you look at it and go... mmmmmmmmmm!!!  And, thankfully, one of those meals where it was everything I had imagined! (YES!)

I cooked my meatballs on the grill (in a cast iron skillet) but you can easily do this on the stove top or even in the oven.  The key, though, is to not over cook them.  Over cook any meatball and it's going to be dry... dry meatballs are no good, even with a yummy mayonnaise!

Asian Meatball Subs with Hoisin Mayonnaise
Adapted from Food Network
- Serves 2-4 - 
Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
1 slice white sandwich bread, crusts removed
1 1/2 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
1 pound ground pork
1 large garlic clove, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 Tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
sesame oil
salt and pepper
3 Tablespoons Hoisin
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoons lime juice
1 Tablespoon Sriracha
1 cup coleslaw mix or a mix of shredded green and purple cabbage
cilantro
1 large baguette, cut into 4 pieces - split open

Directions:
Tear the sandwich bread into small pieces and place in a large bowl.  Toss with the milk and soy sauce.  Let stand for 10 minutes.  Add the pork, garlic, ginger, egg, cilantro, 1/4 teaspoons sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the bowl with the bread; mix until combined.  Gently form into 26 bite size meatballs and place on a plate or baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours.

Stir the hoisin sauce, mayonnaise, lime juice, Sriracha, and 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil in a medium bowl.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

In another bowl, toss the coleslaw mix or cabbage with 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Place in refrigerator until ready to use.

Preheat your grill to 350 degrees F.  Place a cast iron skillet over the fire, add a small amount of oil.  Place the meatballs in the skillet and sear for about 10 minutes.  Move the skillet to indirect heat (not directly over the fire) and "bake" them another 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.

Toast the outside and/or inside of the baguettes, smear some hoisin mayo on it, top with meatballs, top with the sesame slaw and cilantro, and serve.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  The Obsessive Chef's Homemade Tater Tots

14 comments:

Big Dude said...

I really need to make more with Asian flavors and this looks like a great one to try.

StephenC said...

I get a real kick out of meatballs. There's just something fun about them.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Nice! Meaty, sweet, savoury...what's not to like?

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I was just sitting here at 7 am wondering whats for dinner. My first thought was meatballs followed quickly by no, Asian flavors! Then I opened my laptop and went to your blog. And this was posted. And now I'm smiling a smile that you won't normally see on me at 7 am LOL cause this sounds GOOD!! And easy! And I have everything I need for it!! Craving for meatballs and Asian, you've been kicked squarely in the butt. Hooray!

We Are Not Martha said...

I have a special place in my heart for meatball subs. But a meatball sub Asian style sounds even better than the typical one. I love this!

Sues

Unknown said...

Been MIA, sorry! I can imagine that you could not rid this recipe from your mind once you saw it! So interesting and unique makes it a must try...especially w/your strong backing! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Just reading the title, I know this is gonna be good. I love hoisin sauce and this meatball sub looks superb Jenn. Enjoy your weekend.

Unknown said...

If you give it such high marks, I have to try it.

Desi said...

Jenn you've done it again! Everything about this is calling my name! I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

Sorry if you've already entered! :)

Pam said...

YUM!!! It looks delicious! I've never had Asian meatballs and have to try them now since you give them such a great review. Thanks for the recipe.

Angie's Recipes said...

Grilled meatballs, hoisin flavoured mayonnaise, coleslaw...that's a perfect weekend meal!

Rivki Locker said...

I'm not a big fan of meatballs but I adore ANYTHING Asian. This looks great. I am amazed that you used your skillet on your grill. I've never tried that. Great way to beat the summer heat.

Cheeseboy said...

Mmm, it would be the asian that gave it the extra kick for me. I'd love to try this! Gotta watch more food network.

Yenta mary said...

OMG, that looks so amazing!!! I can practically smell the aroma, and I can feel my stomach starting to rumble in anticipation ... :)