Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hoisin Peanut Butter Grilled Chicken

Ok, Ok, I charred the hell out of this chicken.  I didn't mean to.  Honestly.  I blame it on the hoisin peanut butter glaze.  Yea... that's it... the glaze attracted the fire and caused ghastly burns.  Yea, that's what happened.  It just couldn't have been that I broke a big rule when it comes to grilling:  I walked away from the grill and left it unattended.  I know, I slapped my own hands, so no need to send over the rulers!!  The great thing is, it still tasted amazing!!  But still... It sure doesn't make for a good photo. :)

Despite how charred and burned this chicken looks, the final outcome was delicious.  The chicken was moist (thanks to brining of course) and so incredibly flavorful.  Though, I will admit, I am a sucker for anything with hoisin and/or peanut butter in it!

If you really want to see a good picture... something that truly does this chicken justice.. Check out Victor's site - Random Cuisine - plus he gives you a way to bake the chicken, just in case you don't want to make this on the grill.

Hoisin Peanut Butter Grilled Chicken
Adapted from Random Cuisine
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 a whole chicken
2 cups water
1 1/2 Tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoons Aleppo peppers (or red pepper flakes)
1 large garlic clove, finely minced
3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Sriracha

Directions:
Mix together the water, salt, sugar, garlic, and Aleppo peppers.  Place the chicken in a resealable bag inside a large bowl.  Pour the brine over the chicken, seal the bag, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  Remove chicken from brine and thoroughly rinse under cool water.  Pat dry and place in shallow dish.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the garlic, hoisin, peanut butter, ginger, soy, sesame, lemon juice, and Sriracha.  Reserve half of the sauce.  Pour the other half of the sauce over the chicken and allow to marinate for 4 hours.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees.  Rub oil on the grill grates.  Shake off any access marinade from the chicken and place skin side down over direct heat.  Grill for 8 minutes.  Turn the heat off directly under the chicken, or move to indirect heat, and continue to grill another 10 minutes.  Flip the chicken, baste with 1 Tablespoon of the reserved sauce.  Let the chicken cook another 15-20 minutes or until the chicken reaches a temperature of 160 degrees F in the breast and 180 degrees F in the deep thigh.  Remove from grill and allow to rest 5 minutes.  Serve with any remaining sauce.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Spicy Beef Stir Fry

12 comments:

StephenC said...

If you hadn't confessed to having abandoned the chicken for a bit I would never have guessed anything was wrong. It looks terrific.

Cranberry Morning said...

That is gorgeous! I've had a love for peanut butter my entire life. Can't wait to try this recipe. :-)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

It doesn't look burnt to me! I like a little char on my grilled bird. Especially when its got an awesome glaze on it like this! Love the ingredients in this recipe, its like a giant piece of chicken satay. and that makes me happy!!

Katie said...

...I'd totally still eat it!

Care's Kitchen said...

OK, TESTING HERE - I have been unable to comment on blogs recently! A BLOGGER issue!

Anyway, I happen to LOVE my chicken w/charred skin on the outside! Looks and sounds DELISHHHH!!!

fingers crossed....

Anna's kitchen table said...

Yummy yum yum!
Who said the chicken doesn't look great?!
It looks amazing madam.
Oooh, i love coming here, always something delicious on the menu.
x

Unknown said...

Oh Yum Jenn! I think the chicken looks fab. I like the charred bits. I am a sucker for hoisin sauce too. I met Victor yesterday in Edinburgh and will hopefully be meeting him again next week.

Pam said...

I think it looks tasty not charred. The sauce sounds FANTASTIC (like usual).

Big Dude said...

I think grilled chicken without some black on it is missing something, so it looks great to me.

Yenta Mary said...

Asian-influenced peanutty chicken is one of the great foods in the universe!!! This looks absolutely astoundingly amazing!!!

Chris said...

Ha ha ha ha , you so funny...."just in case you don't want to make this on the grill."

Victor said...

Thanks for trying out and sharing my recipe. I haven't kept an up-to-date of fellow bloggers, been having Internet black-out ever since I left Cambridge. I met Michael Toa yesterday in Newcastle, UK., so message well received :)