Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mango Chipotle BBQ Chicken

I could eat this mango chipotle barbecue sauce with a spoon.  That's right... forget the meat, I could spoon it directly into my mouth and be happy.  Probably beyond happy if you want me to be completely honest.

You are not surprised by that statement, are you?

Didn't think so.

What's to say?  It's mango and chipotle pureed with a few other yummy ingredients and its slathered all over grilled chicken.  Enough said.

You can skip the brining process if you want........  but I wouldn't recommend it :)

Mango Chipotle BBQ Chicken
Adapted from Guy Fieri
- serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 of a whole chicken
4 cups water
3 Tablespoons kosher salt
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 mango, roughly chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1-2 Tablespoons chipotle puree -depending on how hot you want it (to make chipotle puree, all I did was dump a can of chipotles in adobo sauce into a food processor and pulsed until a pureed)
1 1/2 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 large garlic clove, pealed and quartered
1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix together the water, salt, sugar, garlic, and white pepper.  Place the chicken in a resealable bag or large deep bowl.  Pour the brining liquid over it, seal or cover, and allow to brine in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.  Remove the chicken from the brining liquid and thoroughly rinse.

Put the mango, parsley, chipotle, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, oil, and sugar in a food processor and puree until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper.

Place the chicken in another resealable bag and pour half of the mango mixture over it.  Massage to coat the chicken and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.

Preheat your grill to medium-high and oil grill grates.  Remove the chicken from the marinade and put skin side down over direct heat for about 10 minutes.  Flip the chicken and baste the chicken with a little of the reserved sauce.  Allow to grill another 10-15 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F in the breast and 180 degrees F in the deep thigh.  Serve with any remaining sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Pulled Pork Quesadillas

11 comments:

StephenC said...

What happens when chicken's in brine?
It's magic for those who would dine.
We need to make magic;
If not it is tragic.
Toast Jenn with a cold glass of wine.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

First off that shot of the bird is delicious!! I love the grill marks, the color of the bbq sauce, the glazed look of it all. YUM!! Second, mango chipolte, hello delicious! I've got 3 mangos here. Just looking for a purpose in life. I'm so glad I found their purpose! Sounds amazing Jenn :)

Anna's kitchen table said...

I'm droooooling!! What are you doing to me with these amazing recipes?!

Yenta Mary said...

Sweet, spicy ... sigh ... :) That picture looks just divine! Absolutely luscious!

Chris said...

Yes yes yes! I have mangos RIGHT NOW that I needed to make something with tonight. You rock, Jenn! I've been staring at them for two days trying to decide what to do and "mango-anything salsa" just sounded pretentious.

Angie's Recipes said...

I would too! And I bet it's delicious with pasta too.

Pam said...

I have one word for you... BOOKMARKED.

Big Dude said...

This sauace sounds awesome Jenn and I immediately asked Bev if we had any mangos. The first shot made we want to lick my screen.

Unknown said...

the color is so deep and reich, looks very tasty.

Katie said...

Can't beat chicken on the grill!

Christine's Pantry said...

Sounds wonderful! Love it.