Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Shrimp & Zucchini Skewers with Basil Cream Sauce

Confession time:  I cut the zucchini the wrong way for skewering.

See, this is what happens when you try to cook and watch Master Chef at the same time.

No bother, the meal was still wonderfully delicious and light.  Perfect for those warm (or really, really hot) week night meals.  (we hit 118 Saturday - Ouch!)

I used frozen shrimp because that is the best I could find, but if you can find fresh shrimp, please....please, please, please... use it.  First, you can put the zucchini and shrimp on the same skewers and your presentation will be prettier.  But most importantly, fresh is always better when you can get it :)

Oh........the sauce was heavenly (of course).  This one definitely falls into the "spoon directly into your mouth" category!

Shrimp & Zucchini Skewers with Basil Cream Sauce
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
4oz sour cream
1/4 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh chives, snipped or chopped
salt and pepper
3/4 lbs fresh or frozen large shrimp, (peeled and deveined if needed)
1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch thick slices
1 Tablespoon basil olive oil (regular olive oil will be fine)
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb mix
bamboo/wooden skewers

Directions:
In a bowl, mix together the sour cream, basil, and chives.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Place the shrimp in a shallow dish.  Toss with olive oil, garlic salt, and Italian herb mix.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.   While the shrimp marinate, soak the skewers in water until ready to use.

Preheat your grill to 350-375 degrees F.  Oil the grill grates.  Skewer your shrimp and zucchini and place directly over the fire.  Grill until the shrimp is pink and golden (about 3-4 minutes per side) and the zucchini is cooked to your liking.  Serve with basil cream sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Penne with Tuna and Tomatoes

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jenn! The skewers and the sauce look wonderful. I eat sour cream by the tub. I also often get distracted from watching the telly :)
118? That's hot!

StephenC said...

How can you grill in such heat? The zucchini and shrimp were certainly wonderful.

Yenta Mary said...

Shrimp, zucchini, basil and cream ... does a girl need anything else in life to make her happy??? Gorgeous and delicious!

Cranberry Morning said...

Absolutely beautiful, Jenn! Shrimp in general is not my favorite, but this looks so appealing I'll have to rethink my position! :-)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Grilled shrimp, hooray! It looks delicious Jenn! 118F is way too hot - but for these shrimp I might brave it :) This recipe needs to be saved for quick "I don't want to cook" dinners - shrimp are so fast cooking that before I can finish complaining about how I dont want to cook, well, dinner's done :) Gotta love that! :)

Karen said...

Ooohh...that basil cream sauce sounds fantastic!
And kudos to you for grilling in 118 degree weather...I don't think I could do it!!

Angie's Recipes said...

The shrimp skewers look so great, but hey! that creamy basil sauce might just outshine it ;-))

Unknown said...

dude, 118 - I DIE

Lovely light meal though.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a glorious recipe, Jenn. These sound delicious. I hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend. Blessings...Mary

Katie said...

118? Wow! I thought 97 was hot! Looks like a perfect recipe for an (extremely) hot day.

Unknown said...

I SO LOVE your honesty! I think it's important as a food blogger lol! Yes...100% spoon it into my mouth worthy!!! Great summer meal Jenn!!!

Chris said...

I'm liking the basil cream sauce. Masterchef if a guilty pleasure of mine, I've watched it every week. I feel bad for 90% of the people on it....some of them get what they deserve:)

Sea Cuisine said...

We love finding new frozen shrimp recipes, and this is no exception. The basil cream sauce sounds almost like a Greek yogurt sauce--delish! Can't wait to try this one out.