Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Potatoes with Lima Bean Gravy

I know what some of you might be thinking... lima bean gravy?  Geez, Jenn, we've never even seen a lima bean hit your plate before, what gives?  Well, let me tell you what gives... it's called a challenge.  That's right my loyal readers, this blogger was challenged.  And, not being one to back down from a challenge (no matter how unappealing it might sound at first) I accepted.

So, what was the challenge?  Lima beans, of course.  I'm not a fan of lima beans.  Never have been, never will be (or will I be???).  But, my friend Stephen (The Obsessive Chef), enjoys them - he even stews them with jalapenos!  Stephen promised me that he could get me to eat lima beans and enjoy them.  I told him, he was crazy... well, maybe I didn't actually tell him, but I thought it, nonetheless.  How in the world could he get me to actually enjoy lima beans?  After many emails back and forth, he asked that if he came up with a way that he believed I would be able to enjoy them, would I be willing to at least try it.  How could I say no?

The great thing about Stephen was that he was willing to try something that he always told me he was not that incredibly fond of - tilapia.  To him, it was always mushy, and he was not into "floppia" tilapia :)  After we both agreed on a recipe, the challenge was set.

I know you must be on the edge of your seat at this point.  The big question being:  Did Stephen create a dish that made me a fan of lima beans?  If you go by just the gravy, no, I'm still not a huge fan.. it still had the lima bean flavor I do not enjoy.  BUT... added with the potatoes it wasn't that bad.  Would I make this dish again... unfortunately not.. BUT, am I glad that I tried it at least?  Absolutely!  I could not, in good conscience encourage everyone to try something new, if I did not lead by example.

Thanks for the challenge Stephen!

Potatoes with Lima Bean Gravy
Slightly adapted from Stephen, The Obsessive Chef
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 lb small baby red potatoes, halved
7 oz lima beans (drained)
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided (room temperature)
3 Tablespoons chicken broth
half a pint cream
1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1-2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Blanch the potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes.  Drain.  Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the drained potatoes and cook until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.  Add the lima beans to the same pan with chicken broth and a little salt and pepper.  Allow to simmer for 8 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a food processor along with the cream, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese.  Pulse until pureed.  Place the potatoes and lima bean gravy back in the pan and reheat, stirring to combine everything.  Taste for seasoning.  Serve warm and enjoy! 

One Year Ago:  Pork Paillards

11 comments:

Big Dude said...

As one of the few who like limas and actually grows them on occasion, I might have to give this a try. Bev doesn't eat them but says it's a texture thing so she might even go for this.

debbie said...

Definitely something different! Wow....lima bean gravy...who would have thought of that!

StephenC said...

When I made this the "gravy" needed an infusion of chicken broth when added to the taters. It seized up. Also, puree more thoroughly. But, kudos to Jenn for playing the game. I look forward to do something again. I already blogged about how a shallow fry of the tilapia made it quite a good dish.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Wow!!! I'm impressed. I do like limas but gravy? Ok, I'm game...I'll try.


Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Mary Bergfeld said...

Only Stephen could come up with this idea:-). Have a great day, Jenn.Blessings...Mary

Cranberry Morning said...

How funny. I read that first paragraph and laughed. Yep, that was just about exactly what I was thinking! What an interesting concept, Jenn. Looks like the latest comfort food.

Pam said...

Good for you for trying Jenn!

Unknown said...

I am a lima bean lover myself

Bo said...

I like Lima beans...Jenn hats off to you for trying something new.
@ Stephen - very creative use of Lima beans.

Pam said...

I love, love lima beans and this is definitely unique! I'll try anything once, it just might be great!

Chris said...

This is too funny, I can't believe ya'll went through with this. I actually like lima beans but hated them as a kid. The secret is that they need pork:)