Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chipotle Fish Packets

I love love love chipotle.  I love the smokey flavor it adds.  I love the spiciness it brings to a dish.  I love it!!  But, I will confess, I have never actually cooked with it. GASP!  I know, right?  Once again, the only thing that ever stopped me from using it, was fear.  Fear because I wasn't sure what I was getting and what to do with it and what if I didn't use it all then what will I do with any leftovers.... and so on and so on!  So the other day I finally said enough.  I'm gonna get a can and I'm gonna make a recipe that calls for it!  And what better recipe then a recipe for TILAPIA :)  (my pal Stephen thinks I should start a blog just with tilapia recipes... he suggested calling it Tilapia Tootsie - among other witty names -...maybe it's not a bad idea!!)  Those of you who have visited my blog often, may be getting tired of tilapia recipes.  Why the heck doesn't she use something else..right?  My friends, I might not try another fish, but you may.  You can switch out cod or sole or catfish or even halibut with all the fish recipes I have posted here.  There are even quite a few that would work well on salmon.  So don't limit yourself just because of me.  Experiment...take a few chances..what's the worse thing that could happen?  You ruin dinner and you gotta order in Chinese or pizza?  In my book, that's not a bad thing at all.. the point is you tried :)
Anyway, this fish was simple and spicy!  Chipotle is a smoked-dried jalapeno.  That should explain one thing...heat!  If you haven't had chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, you might be a bit surprised at the bite it has...so be careful and use caution!  Don't say I didn't warn you.........

Chipotle Fish Packets
Adapted from Rick Bayless
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients: 
4 (6oz) portions of mild white fish such as tilapia, halibut, or red snapper (I know it says red, but it's considered a white fish, I swear!)
3-4 key limes
salt and pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2-3 chipotle chili from a 7oz can of chipotle chili in adobo sauce, PLUS 1 Tbls of the adobo sauce (***Don't worry, I'll share a recipe with you tomorrow that will show you what you can create with the rest of the can!**)
Aluminum foil
Non-stick cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat grill to medium heat or an oven to 400 degrees.

Divide up the fish between the 4 pieces of aluminum foil sprayed with non-stick spray.  Sprinkle each packet with about 3/4 teaspoon lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.

Blend mayonnaise and chipotle along with the adobo sauce in a blender or small food processor until smooth.  Divide the flavored mayonnaise between the 4 packets and spread to cover.  Close foil around fish to create a packet.  

If grilling, place direction on the grill grates and cook for 12-14 minutes.  If baking, place packets on a cookie sheet and bake for the same amount of time.  Carefully remove the packets from the grill (or oven) and the fish from the packets!  Enjoy!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree; it looks yummy! I very, very rarely cook fish, but you always make it look so easy and delicious! :)

Yenta Mary said...

The only fish my son will eat is tilapia, so never hesitate -- for my benefit, anyway! -- to keep posting recipes using it ... :) This looks great!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks lovely and it is certainly easy to do. I think I'll try this but cut back a bit on the chipotles. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

mr. pineapple man said...

looks delicious!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Dang Girlie! You're making me drool and I just ate room service! I share the chipotle fever with you. There is nothing like it. That said I'm not sure I love tilapia as much as you - but I am sure if anyone can convert me, it's you. So psyched I could get online tonight to see this!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh oh oh that is going to be hot and spicy!!! I love it. Isn't it amazing the kick that stuff has! This looks delicious and tilapia is perfect for it.


Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com