Search This Blog

Monday, June 28, 2010

Hot Honeyed Grilled Chicken

The other day I was searching through old recipes that I had printed out and I stumbled across one from Sandra Lee, Hot Honeyed Spare Ribs.  My mouth instantly watered.  I remembered how wonderful those ribs tasted when I recreated her recipe.  Well, Chris and I had just had ribs over Memorial day and then I made them again for my nephew while they were here visiting, so I really didn't want to make that exact recipe.  It got me thinking... why the heck wouldn't that same sauce work on chicken?  It's sweet, it's spicy, it's fantastic... let's try it!  YAY!!! The chicken came out perfect and it was just what I wanted.   Now, most people don't have Catalina dressing on hand.  Heck, a lot of people don't even like it.  I don't even know a good substitute for it except for French dressing.  So if you really really want to make this recipe, go ahead and splurge on a bottle.  You can always make the Hot Honeyed Ribs to help use up what's left!

Oh... and even though this is grilled... I left instructions on how to bake them, for those that don't have or don't want to use their grills!

Hot Honeyed Grilled Chicken
Adapted from Sandra Lee
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients: 
1/4 cup Catalina dressing
1 Tablespoon Sriracha
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 Tablespoons honey
garlic salt
pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Directions: 
In a small bowl, combine the dressing, sriracha, soy and honey; mix well.  Season the chicken with garlic salt and pepper.  Place chicken in a Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over it.  Seal and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

Preheat your grill to medium-high.  When grill is ready, remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.  Place chicken on grill and cook for 5-8 minutes per side or until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.  Remove from grill and enjoy!

To Bake:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place chicken in baking dish or wire rack on a sheet pan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Bake for 16-20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. 
 

7 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

now this recipe is for my , catalina is my favorite dressing (not my wifes) I bet it was oh so tasty....yum!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What an easy and delicious sounding recipe. Your photos are terrific.I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Catalina dressing? What a great idea!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Stephen C said...

You continue to work your magic on the grill.

Unknown said...

I am always looking for new recipes for the grill and this one looks delicious!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I love catalina dressing, I just hate the HFCS in it :( That just means I'll have to make my own version, no problem :) This sounds really really REALLY GOOD!!! Once I make some dressing I will be putting it on some chicken & then feasting :)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Well if it has Sricacha in it, I'm in. I still need to post the chicken I made of yours. Movers are coming in the morning...may have to do it from Austin!