Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Creole Cast Iron Fish

I saw this recipe on Aggie's Kitchen back in October.  I kept saying I was going to try and it and well, it just kept getting shoved aside.  I don't know why exactly, but it did.  The other day I was trying to think of a new way to cook tilapia :) when I came across this recipe in my files.  I knew the original recipe called for baking, but I thought to myself.. why the heck couldn't I do the exact same thing on the grill?  A grill is like an oven and cast iron was meant for open flame cooking!  SWEET!!!  Plus, I don't use my cast iron pans nearly enough, it's about time to dig them out and get some real use out of them.  I do think that I used too much oil in the pan...I was so worried about it sticking and making a huge mess that I kept adding and adding the oil.  Otherwise, I'd say this recipe was a success.  And cooking it on the grill worked like a charm!  It was actually more rewarding then baking anyway...I could cast myself back to the old days when there was no electricity and all food was cooked on an open flame...a more simple time some would say..........but I digress...whether you bake it or grill it, this fish is spicy and flavorful...and if you don't over due it on the oil, it's even good for you too!


Creole Cast Iron Fish
Adapted from Aggie's Kitchen
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
4 Tilapia fillets (or any white fish)
3 Tablespoons olive oil, plus a tiny bit more for the pan
4 garlic cloves, pressed
2 Tablespoons Creole seasoning (homemade recipe to follow)
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat your grill to medium; medium-high (about 400 degrees).  Place cast iron skillet on the grill to preheat too. (CAUTION: don't forget to get the oven mitt out, you don't want to touch the handle of the skillet once it's been on the grill!!!)

In a small bowl, mix together all other ingredients.  Brush both sides of each fillet with the mixture.  Carefully, place a teaspoon or two of oil in the cast iron skillet, then add the fillets.  Cover the grill and let the fish cook for 12-14 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork, no need to flip the fish.  Carefully, with oven mitts, remove the skillet from the grill.

***To Bake: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place cast iron skillet in oven while preheating. (If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, just use a roasting pan, but don’t preheat the pan)
Brush the fish generously with oil mixture (directions are above) and place in hot skillet (be careful and don’t forget to use an oven mitt!!). Place skillet and fish back into oven. Cook for about 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness of fish, until fish is translucent and flaky. 

Emeril Lagasse's Creole Seasoning:
2 1/2 TB paprika
2 TB salt
2 TB garlic powder
1 TB black pepper
1 TB onion powder
1 TB cayenne
1 TB dried oregano
1 TB dried thyme

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Store in airtight container.

8 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I love cooking in cast iron!! it is by far my most favorite cooking vessel of all time. Great idea to use the grill for the heat source, cast iron loves fire :) The fish looks pretty darn tasty Jenn!

Unknown said...

That looks delicious! I so need to get me a big old cast iron skillet. I don't cook fish nearly enough, but that looks great!

Stephen C said...

Fabulous! Thanks for including baking instructions for the grill-deprived among us.

Jewels said...

I do most of my cooking with cast iron on a gas stove and LOVE it!!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh yummmmmmmm!!! I love me some fish, especially cooked that way. I'm off to the grocery store...thanks for another great idea. I'm so glad I found you!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really looks fabulous. I've bookmarked this to try. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Debbie said...

Oh does that look good. I have frozen tilapia in my freezer that I keep planning on making and just haven't yet. This would be perfect. I will try the creole seasoning..Thanks Jen!

Mhel said...

oh that creole fish looks soo good.... thanks for the creole recipe.. U