Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Sugar Ray's Body Blow Ribs

FINALLY!  Last time I made these I had a tiny problem with fire and ... uhmm... well... they got a bit charred to say the least!  So I'm pleased to present my all time favorite rib recipe, made in honor of the legend himself...Sugar Ray Leonard.  (YAY!!!!!)  Paula Dean did a show called "Risky Business Party" where she invited three guys who have some of the toughest jobs around to come and cook with her.  My favorite, from the episode, was Sugar Ray.  Paula taught him how to make these ribs and I figured I needed to give it a shot.  Since then, I haven't made ribs any other way!  The first night I made them, Chris proclaimed them the "best ribs he'd ever had".  What makes them so so special?  I believe it's the sauce (go figure).  Paula knows her sauces and I LOVE that!

Quick story before I go...my sister and brother-in-law and my nephew are coming to visit (they should be here in about an hour and a half actually).  When I asked my nephew what he wanted me to make for dinner while he was here, I received an immediate response (absolutely no hesitation)......Ribs!  Ok, ribs.. cool.. I've never cooked that many ribs at the same time.. and well.. ouch, how much is this gonna cost me?  Well, as luck would have it, I found ribs for $1.97 a pound over memorial day weekend.  YES!!!!!  I saved myself $30!! $30.. that's BIG!  I was happy and needed to share it with you.  Anyway, this was my practice round for when my nephew's here.  I want HIM to say they are the best ribs he's ever had! :) 


Make sure to leave yourself at least 8 hours, if not over night, to let the ribs marinate.  I promise you won't be sorry you took the time to do it!  Also, this recipe calls for baking the ribs first, then grilling them....you know my need for not using the oven in the summer, so I decided to let the ribs cook in the slow cooker first, then threw them on the grill.  This works great and I would recommend doing it this way, but I will give you both options and let you choose which one works best for you.

And last but not least, this recipe was created for 2 slabs...that's 4 racks....of pork ribs.  I cut it down to something Chris and I could handle, so this recipe is for only 1 rack. (we even have leftovers!)  I also make the full amount of the BBQ sauce as I like to have some for dipping the ribs in while I eat.  You can easily cut it in half if you don't want any extra!

Sugar Ray's Body Blow Ribs
Adapted from Paula Dean, Food Network 
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
Dry Rub-
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoons salt (I use either kosher or sea salt)
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 rack pork back ribs
BBQ Sauce-
2 cups ketchup
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
**Slow cooker option only ingredients***
1 (12oz) bottle of beer (can be anything, I used Bud Light)
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (if you make the full amount of sauce from this recipe use that, you'll have plenty!!)

Directions:
Combine all the ingredients for the dry rub in a small bowl.  Rub the ribs with the dry rub, wrap in plastic and let marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.

For the BBQ sauce:
Add all the ingredients in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer.  Let simmer for 25 minutes, on low heat, stirring occasionally.  (you can make this a day ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge)

Slow Cooker and Grill Method:
Pour all slow cooker ingredients into your slow cooker.  Add the ribs and cover.  Cook on high for one hour, then turn down to low and cook another 1-2 hours.  (you want the ribs to be almost cooked through..it will finish on the grill)  

Preheat the grill to medium heat.  Reserve 1/4 - 1/2 cup of the sauce.  Brush ribs with sauce and place on grill.  Cook for 10 minutes and then turn the heat down and continue to cook until ribs are done ...about 5-10 more minutes... turning and basting with the sauce.  Remove from grill and serve with reserved sauce!  Enjoy!


Bake and Grill Method:
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.  Place the ribs on a large baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.  Cover tightly with foil and place in middle rack of oven.  Let roast for 2 1/2 hours.  Follow the grill instructions from above. 

3 comments:

Jewels said...

Oh Gosh! I love ribs, so will definitely be trying this one! Later today, will be making the banana bread too!

Stephen C said...

Wow, you outdid me with the beauty of the results. After reading the recipe you sent me the other day, seeing Jamie, and consulting another blog I came up with a plan. I always skip the brown sugar (and/or molasses). But, you obviously deserved the accolades you received.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

YUMMY!! That was me singing your praises from the rooftops :) These look amazing! I can only imagine how great they must smell while cooking. I LOVE RIBS, next time they go on sale I'm getting some & making these. Deeelish!