Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Coleslaw

I've been trying to make my own coleslaw for awhile now.  Trying other recipes and seeing what I liked about them and then making something that works for me.  Now I'm particular about my coleslaw.  First.. there better never be onions in it, on it, around it!  UGH!  Not even green onions.. no no no!!  Second, it needs to be cold and creamy!  Third.. not too sweet...not too tart...definitely not bitter.  Basically, I love KFC coleslaw and most others pretty much suck!  Now, I have a copycat recipe for KFC's coleslaw, but I wanted to create something a bit more simple and of course, something that I could say was my creation, not a copycat.  Ok, ok.. it's probably a copycat of someones, because it's real simple and pretty much uses the same ingredients most coleslaw recipes call for.  But I think you get what I'm say, so I will stop talking....er, I mean typing...and get on with the recipe!

Coleslaw
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
dash to 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz coleslaw mix (half a bag) or 8oz of shredded cabbage and carrots

Directions:
In a medium size bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the coleslaw mix.  Once combined, add the slaw mix and toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

6 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Thats pretty much how I do mine, too Jenn, well no mayo I use greek yogurt :) But other than that its the same :) Isn't it delicious? Who knew that humble cabbage could be so yummy!

Yenta Mary said...

I'm particular about my coleslaw, too -- it's hard to find a good one! I make one version with fennel and cabbage and, I know(!), red onion; it's vinegary, and really good. But sometimes I want the creamy kind, and I haven't really perfected that. Now I'll have to try yours!

foodfloozie.blogspot.com

Ally said...

new to your blog. happy follow me tuesday! i love food, my hubby is a big slaw fan. :)


FourthGradeNothing.com

Stephen C said...

Sounds very good. I just went back to see if I ever posted coleslaw. I did. I called it "The laws of slaw." It's a mayo-free recipe. I'd be curious to know how it sounds to you.

It's a long post ... don't know what I must have been thinking.

Cheeseboy said...

I love KFC coleslaw and anything close to it I am willing to try.

Ott, A. said...

Looks delish! I put pineapple in my coleslaw to liven it up a bit. Thanks for stoppin' by for a Latte' Happy to follow you back.