Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Banana Bread with Cinnamon Topping

 
That's right... I baked!  I know, I know, I said I don't bake once it gets warm here...but...well... I may have told a small little fib.  It's not that I don't EVER bake, it's just that I try NOT to when it gets so warm here.  And wouldn't you know it, the day I decided to bake this wonderfully tasty bread, it was 99 degrees here in the desert!  OUCH!  (good thing I started at 8:00am!!)  But, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...and I HAD to do THIS!  OMG, this was the best banana bread I've had.  Ok, so you might find it odd that I say that because it is my banana bread recipe, but the topping....the topping is what makes this even better and THAT was not my idea.  The idea for the strudel like topping came from Andrea The Kitchen Witch.  I saw her post for cinnamon topped banana bread the other day... and so did Chris.  Chris LOVES banana bread.  I remember before we started dating that I found out he liked it, so I made it and brought it into work (we use to work together, it's how we met) a few days later!  hehehe  I don't know if he even got the hint, but hey, I tried and that's what counts right? :)  Since that day I have actually perfected my banana bread recipe...and now...with Andrea's help, I think I've reached a whole new height.  Even if you have your own banana bread recipe, you gotta try this topping on it.  I swear, you just might not make it any other way!

Banana Bread with Cinnamon Topping
Ingredients:
3 over ripe bananas
1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt (I used kosher salt)
1 teaspoon baking soda
Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium sized bowl, mash the bananas well.  Add sugar, butter, and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add the egg and mix until just incorporated.

In another bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda.  Slowly add the dry mixture to the banana mixture a little at a time.  (Be sure to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl if you are using a mixer.)  Mix well.

In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients.

Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.  Top evenly with the cinnamon sugar mixture.  Bake for 50 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool at least 30 minutes before you slice into it.  Enjoy! (I like mine warm with a little butter...yum!!!) 

3 comments:

Michelle said...

When I bake banana bread, I sometimes use a topping of oats, sugar, cinnamon, and butter, and always add tons of vanilla extract to it. We love some good banana bread around here. :o)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Looks good Jenn!! I'm so glad you like the cinnamon topping. It was a huge hit here, too. My daughter has been begging me to make more banana bread - I'll make your recipe next time, sounds delish! Heck if its good enough to make on a 99 degree day its gotta be good :) Thanks again for the shout out, you rock girl!

Pam said...

Yum - I love the cinnamon topping!