Search This Blog

Friday, June 25, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

For some reason, my camera does not love my ice cream as much as I do!  I swear, I took 50 pictures and only these 3 came out clear.  Every other one was a blurry mess.  I had the same problem with the 2 other ice cream pictures I've posted.  They aren't bad pictures, mind you, I was just expressing some frustrations with my photographic abilities, that's all.....now on to the ice cream....... :)

This ice cream was fantastic!  I just love chocolate, but you knew that right?  The one problem I had with it, is it became a bit grainy once it started to freeze.  I BELIEVE it is because I did not blend the chocolate mixture in a blender before putting it into the refrigerator to cool.  The recipe I found said "if the chocolate does not melt completely, you might want to run it through a blender until smooth."  Well, my chocolate melted perfectly, or so I thought, and I skipped this step.  But I believe that by skipping that step, I did not have the chocolate nice and smooth as it should have been, hence the tiny chocolate pieces just hardened up as soon as it started to cool.  That's my theory at least.  Now this did not make the ice cream inedible, oh no, I would not post it if that was the case, I'm only telling you, so hopefully you'll have a smoother ice cream texture then we did.  This ice cream was not too sweet, but very rich and very chocolaty.  It was chocolate heaven in a bowl!


Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cup heavy cream or half & half
6 Tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
6oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips (you could honestly leave these out if you just want plain old chocolate ice cream, it will still be SO good!!)

Directions:
In a large saucepan, whisk the cream, cocoa powder, sugar and salt together.  Whisking frequently, heat until the mixture comes to a full, rolling boil.  Remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped chocolate.  Whisk until the chocolate melts completely, then add the milk and vanilla.  Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender and blend for 30 seconds, or until smooth.

Chill the mixture thoroughly and then churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufactures instructions.  Add the chocolate chips in the last few minutes of the churning.  If you don't have an ice cream maker, check out David's site for directions on just how to do it without one!  Enjoy! 

7 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

That looks amazing! It's not a good morning here, and a pint of that ice cream looks like it could provide the necessary solace ... :)

foodfloozie.blogspot.com

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I've been wanting to make chocolate ice cream. Thanks for the blender tip!!! I'll be sure to whiz mine up before I freeze it. The ice cream looks decadent, dark and delicious. Just the way good chocolate ice cream should be :) YUM!

Stephen C said...

It's so hot today that I am inspired to consider making ice cream. I'll check out David's site to see how to do it without an ice cream maker.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds wonderful and that second photo is actually great. Send it to Tastespotting and see what they say. You had me when I saw Chocolate Chocolate Chip. How could anyone not love that? I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I just love chocolate ice cream!!! add the chocolate chips and now I'm on overload!
thanks for sharing!!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner!!!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Ma, What's for Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Unknown said...

That looks soooooo delicious! And congrats on your beautiful blogger awards! :)