Search This Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

Tuscan Chicken with Pasta Medley

Besides the fact that I was 1. lazy and 2. went over board on the spices, this dish wasn't too bad.  I found these recipes in the Taste of Home Simple & Delicious magazine.  I always find good recipes in there, but never seem to actually make too many of them.  I need to make a better effort at going through all my magazines when I'm planning my menus.

Anyway :) You may be asking, why was I lazy?  Well, honestly, I didn't want to slice up garlic.  The chicken recipe actually called for slicing the garlic and frying it in the pan with the chicken.  Not only did I not want to go through the process of slicing the garlic (yea, I know it's so hard right..lol), I'm always so worried about frying garlic too long, it can tend to get real bitter if you over cook it.  So I took the easy way out and just used garlic powder.  As for #2, over doing the seasoning, I think that one is pretty self explanatory.  I just used too much and it was a bit over powering, but that's ok, it happens to the best of us.  I won't make the same mistake twice, nor will I allow you to make it once!

 
Personally, I think the pasta was the best part of the dish.  Again, there was mustard in the ingredients.  Since using it with pasta had been such a hit with the Pasta w/Sausage, Basil & Mustard recipe I posted on 3/3/10, I knew it would once again be splendid!  To sum up, the dish was good.  I don't know if I'd make this again, but that's only because there are so many more recipes out there to try!!!

Tuscan Chicken
Adapted from Taste of Home 
Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
non-stick cooking spray

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, rosemary, basil, thyme and garlic powder.  Evenly sprinkle over chicken, both sides.

Spray a little cooking spray in a large non-stick skillet.  Over medium heat, cook chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear.

(Nutritional Info: 1 chicken breast= 217 calories, 9g fat, 78mg cholesterol, 364mg sodium, 1g carbohydrates. 29g protein)

Pasta Medley
Adapted from Taste of Home 
Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked pasta shells
1 small zucchini, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
1 teaspoon olive oil
3/4 cup chicken broth
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.

Combine the cornstarch and broth until smooth; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter; add the mustard, basil and garlic powder. Gradually stir in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. 

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the red bell pepper.  Saute for 2 minutes.  Add the zucchini and saute another 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Drain pasta; return to pot. Add the mustard sauce and toss to coat.

(Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 157 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.) 

3 comments:

Stephen C said...

Coincidently Peter turned leftover chicken legs into a pasta dish last night. As for garlic powder, I use it all the time. The last time I bought it the store I was in had only garlic "granules," more the texture of large grained kosher salt than a powder. It has a distinct flavor and aroma and I love it.

Nice job with the photos. I'm trying to get better at that.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Nothing better than chicken and pasta in my book. Especially with zuchinni, which I think is so under appreciated. Lovely post!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Sounds and looks delicious Jenn! I'll be making this one, no doubt about it!