Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Poblano Chicken

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!  I know, this is not an Irish dish, but it IS green (ok, it might look a little yellow under the lights of my kitchen, but the sauce really is green!), so I figured it was a good post for today.  I probably should have made something special for today, but, in all honesty, I sort of forgot about it...been a little preoccupied with my new job (and American Idol..ugh!!!).

Ok, it's creamy and decadent and super delicious (and don't forget green)!  It might not be the healthiest thing I've posted lately, but it's definitely one to try.  When I first saw this recipe, I wasn't that impressed with how the actual picture looked, but the ingredients intrigued me, so I tried it.  WOW!  Its like a party in your mouth, let me tell you!!  Poblano chili's are not known for their heat, but for their flavor, so if you are worried that this will be too spicy for you, don't.  The pepper jack cheese is spicier then the poblano.  If you didn't have pepper jack, or don't like pepper jack, I would use just regular monterey or a mix of monterey and cheddar.  The poblano sauce is what makes this, the cheese is only there as a compliment!

 

Poblano Chicken
Adapted from One Perfect Bite 
Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon kosher salt + salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 large Poblano chile
1/2 cup 2 % milk, divided
1 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup light sour cream
1 lime, zest and juice
Pinch of nutmeg
6 oz. pepper Jack cheese, coarsely grated 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a baking dish with oil or nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Remove stem, seeds and membranes from the chile. Place chile in a blender. Add 1/4 cup milk. Puree.

Melt butter in a small pan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir until smooth and lightly brown. Stir in chile puree. When smooth, add reserved 1/4 cup milk, sour cream, lime juice and zest and nutmeg. Stir constantly over low heat until mixture thickens. Add salt to taste.

In a large skillet, sprayed with non stick cooking spray, saute chicken over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to prepared baking dish.

Cover chicken with Poblano sauce, sprinkle with cheese and bake in upper-third of oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Ok Jenn, that's it! We have got to get together and cook someday!! This sounds amazing, but I'm a huge fan of both the pablano and chicken :) Yum yum yummy yum!!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Nice one Jenn! This looks gorgeous - what flavors! Happy St. Paddy's Day:)

Stephen C said...

This is different from my usual repertoire, but I am definitely going to try it. I'm very fond of poblanos (as well as Anaheims). I might do it with bone-in breasts as I like to buy whole chickens and break them down (cheaper) myself.

Do you use a flash when you photograph in your kitchen? If not, that might mitigate the yellow that comes from the lighting in the room.

The one problem with the flash could be the distance from the food. My camera has a zoom and I stand back and zoom in, then shoot.

In any case I admire your photo composition skills.
S

Unknown said...

Andrea.. if only we lived closer!!!! Funny, everyone I want to cook with lives in a different state!!

Happy St. Patty's day to you too Miss M & P!

Stephen.. you flatter me with your compliments!

Debbie said...

Oh yummm! I love this kind of recipe!