Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Honey Garlic Pasta

So the night I made this, I made it as a side dish and it was sort of a spur of the moment thing.  I didn't think it through, though, because it didn't blend that well with the dish I made...BUT...this is still something I think you should try.  It's interesting to say the least.  I have never in my life (and I'm part Italian) had pasta that was sweet.  Chris thought it was too sweet, I thought it was pretty good.  I think the key to cutting the sweetness a bit is parmesan cheese.  I actually didn't add it at first, but when I realized how out of balance it was with the main dish, I added it and it turned out to taste much better with it.  If you are going to make it just as a side dish, I would recommend just grilling or pan searing chicken that's been seasoned with salt, pepper and maybe a little bit of garlic.  I don't know if I can get this one pass Chris again, so if you try it that way, let me know what you think.  I'm curious what anyone else would say about a sweet and savory dish that includes pasta :)

P.s...I cut the recipe in half because I was making it as a side dish, not a main course dish.

Honey Garlic Pasta
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home
Ingredients:
1 package (16 ounces) angel hair pasta
2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in the honey, basil and thyme. 

Drain pasta; add to garlic mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. (8 servings.)  Enjoy!  
(Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 356 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein)

6 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

What an interesting combo of flavors. I can see how the cheese would help tame the sweet flavor. I love sweet/savory flavors so I might have to give this one a try. If I do you'll be the first to know about it :)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Oh my gosh - I thought about adding honey to a pasta I made the other night! I bet I would love this. My favorite appetizer at a local restaurant is warm Brie with honey and toasted pine nuts over the top. They give you toasted French bread to spread it on - it's HEAVEN. It's really not that out there when you think about how cheese platters usually have dried fruit or honey on them. So funny we're on similar thought paths:)

Stephen C said...

I'm probably with Chris on this one. I don't eat sweet things very often. BTW, where do you come up with the nutrition info?

Kathleen said...

This sounds tasty and unique! Yum!!!

Debbie said...

Sounds different and interesting. Honey with pasta is something I would love to try!

Pam said...

It sounds good to me and very different! I would have to cut the honey a little. Yum!