Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Baked Teriyaki Fish

So when a recipe calls for a low-sodium product, sometimes it's VERY important to use just that.  That is the only thing I can think happened to our meal.  It was so incredibly salty.  Ok, maybe not incredibly, but it was salty enough for it to stand out to me.  I understand that using soy sauce is going to give anything a salty flavor, but this was the saltiest teriyaki mix I have ever had.  Now I have substituted regular soy for low-sodium soy before and never had a problem, but I really have never used it in this large of an amount before either.  Chris didn't think it was overly salty, so maybe it was just my taste buds that night?  I really don't know.  All in all, though, it was pretty good.  If you are going to make it, make it with the low sodium soy sauce, I think it will make all the difference!  Also, this would work great for a teriyaki chicken or pork stir fry too!

Baked Teriyaki Fish
Adapted from Food & Wine 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water

3 tablespoons rice vinegar
Four 6- to 8-ounce skinless cod or tilapia fillets

Directions:
In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, the dissolved cornstarch, and the rice vinegar and bring to a boil, whisking until the glaze is thickened, about 2 minutes.

Place the fillets in a baking dish sprayed with non stick cooking spray.  Pour half of the teriyaki sauce over the fish.  Bake for 6 minutes, remove, and pour the rest of the sauce over the fish.  Continue baking another 6-8 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Enjoy!

 

No comments: