Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Rosemary & Red Wine Steaks

I love love love rosemary!  So does our cat Lexi.  She will be nowhere in site for hours, but pull the rosemary out and start chopping it, and she's at my feet in seconds!  Red wine...well, put it this way, my friend Ruth has a tile in her kitchen with my favorite saying on it: "I love cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food"! (By the way, red wine is one of the best things to tenderize beef with!)

Speaking of our cat Lexi.. I want to quickly introduce you to the rest of my family.  On my profile you will see that I am a mother to one Savage Beast, one Bailey's Irish Cream, and one Lex Luthor.  Well here they are......at their finest:

 
Savage, aka: Savage Beast (yea, I know he doesn't look that beastly, but trust me!)
    
Ok, this is what he looks like when he's not trying to sleep :)

  
Bailey, aka: Bailey's Irish Cream (he's a lover not a fighter)
 
 Lexi, aka: Lex Luthor (watch out for that dark side!!)

Ok, sorry, had to show them off, we don't have kids, so this is what you get :)
The steak was amazing!  So tender and juicy and the flavor of the rosemary and wine are phenomenal together!  I came up with the creamy horseradish sauce myself.  You don't have to use it, but it compliments the steak amazingly well.

Rosemary & Red Wine Steaks
Adapted from About.com 
Ingredients:
1.5 lbs NY Strip Steaks (2 steaks) (you could use any cut you want)
1/2 cup dry red wine
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 large garlic cloves, smashed
2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
Creamy Horseradish Sauce (recipes follows) - optional

Directions:
Place steaks in a resealable bag.  In a small bowl, mix together all other ingredients.  Pour over steaks and marinate in refrigerator for 4 hours.

Preheat your grill.  When grill is ready, grill steaks 5-10 minutes each side, depending on thickness of steaks.  When meat reaches desired doneness, remove from heat and let meat rest for 3 minutes before slicing.  Serve with creamy horseradish sauce.  Enjoy!

Creamy Horseradish Sauce: 
1/4 cup sour cream
2-3 Tablespoons horseradish (depending on how spicy you want it)
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped

Combine all ingredients together; mix well.  Serve alongside steaks.  Any leftover sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days.


2 comments:

Stephen C said...

You've almost got me convinced to fire up the grill again - but not quite. The steak looks lovely. May I send you a link in a couple of days to my first ever published restaurant review?

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

I'm sorry, but what steaks? How can anyone see the steaks (if they're even there) when there are the CATS! LOVE your cats! Will have to look at your food posts once I tear myself away from the cats.