Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pan Fried Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy

This week has been a long one.  Yesterday morning I woke up thinking it was Thursday.  Then, last night, Chris and his friend Steve had a jam session and that normally only happens on Friday nights, so all night I kept having to remind myself that it was only WEDNESDAY night!  Ugh.. so yea, just wanted to complain, that's all.... now on to the food!!!

You may notice that I do not cook very often with mushrooms.  Chris really isn't a fan of them.  But, if you cut them to the right size and cook them properly, he will eat them.  It's a good thing too, because when I came across this recipe, I knew I was going to make it at some point.  I love mushrooms and this recipe looked so good and so simple.  In my head I thought all I needed to do was make the pieces of mushroom big enough so he could eat around them.  (That's right, sometimes it really is just about me!! lol)  That's just what I did too, and you know what, he loved it!  See, sometimes trying new things really is a good thing!

Pan Fried Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
Recipe created by Des at Life's Ambrosia
Ingredients:
4 boneless pork chops
1 egg
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons seasoning salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup milk
fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt


Directions:
Place pork chops in a resealable plastic bag. Seal bag and hit the pork chops with a meat mallet until 1/4 inch thick. (I actually skipped this part)

In one bowl beat egg. In a separate bowl combine flour and seasoning salt.
Remove pork chops from plastic bag, dip in egg and then dredge in flour to coat completely. Transfer to a plate and let set for 15 minutes.


Preheat oven to warm setting.
 
In a skillet heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Once butter has melted fry pork chops until browned and cooked through. About 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a ovenproof dish and place in oven to keep warm.

Reserve 1 tablespoon of the pan drippings. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour over the top, stir. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in broth and milk. Cook until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Place cooked pork chops on a serving platter, spoon gravy over the top, and serve!


 

3 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yum! Looks like a delicious dinner! I am like Chris, not a fan of the 'shroom, I give them to my husband :) Your gravy looks so good...mmm...drooling :)

Anonymous said...

Found your recipe by accident, now it's a weekly dinner. The whole family just loves it!!!

Unknown said...

Anonymous... thanks so much for letting me know that. I'm so glad it's become a family favorite. I need to actually make this again soon, thanks for the reminder!!