Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

Classic Steak House-Marinated Steaks w/Red Pepper Aioli

This would have to be my second favorite marinade for steak.  The steak comes out with a sweet and savory flavor.  Like the rosemary and red wine steak (my favorite marinade) I posted on the first of this month, it is fantastic by itself.  You don't need any kind of sauce, BUT, this red pepper aioli...well, it's AMAZING!  The steak might not NEED it...but it WANTS it, so I must to obey!!  You can use any type of steak you want with this marinade.  I have to tell you, I can't remember the cut..lol...I made this over a week ago and forgot to jot it down.  I know it wasn't NY strips again...it was on sale.... I cut it in half to make to separate pieces (Chris likes his steak well done, as you can tell from the pictures, I do not)...long story short, use whatever cut you can get your hands on, with this marinade it's not going to matter that much! 

 

Classic Steak House-Marinated Steaks w/Red Pepper Aioli
Adapted from Southern Living 
Ingredients:
1/3 cup beer (I used Bud Light)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
4 steaks of your choice

Directions:
Whisk together beer, next 4 ingredients, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour marinade into a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add steaks. Seal bag, and chill 2 hours, turning occasionally. 

Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Remove steaks from marinade (throw marinade away). Sprinkle steaks with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.  Grill steaks, covered with grill lid, 5 to 6 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks from grill, and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Red Pepper Aioli
Adapted from Cooking Light 
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 roasted red bell pepper

Drop garlic through food chute with food processor on. Process until finely minced. Add the remaining ingredients, and process until well-combined.  Serve with steaks or chicken or fish.

 

4 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Thanks Jenn, now I need to go to the store and get more steaks. Darn you!!!! Just kidding, actually I'm really excited that you keep posting these marinade recipes, A. they are delicious and B. they give me great ideas for dinner for my steak lovin' hubby :-)

Stephen C said...

Nice. Looks maybe like a top round or London broil.

Regarding the aioli: I'm reminded of an article in last week's NY Times Dining section on Mexican salsas. Turns out in Mexico they are not used to dip chips into - rather as sauces for meat, fish or chicken. It was interesting. In some cases, if some beef has gotten a little dry, they slice up and reheat the meat in a salsa. Inquiring minds want to know these things!

Unknown said...

Top round is what it was, thank you Stephen!!

Andrea, I got a ton of them...and it's getting warm here, time to start grilling as much as possible!

Velva said...

God, that looks flavorful. No doubt that the red pepper aioli is amazing. Thanks for sharing.