Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't normally toot my own horn, but sometimes, just sometimes..... TOOT TOOT!!  This is absolutely my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.  It was originally a recipe for oatmeal coconut cookies.  I'm not a huge fan of coconut...I like the flavor, hate the texture...and since you may have read a few weeks ago on my Snickerdoodle post that I am a chocolate chip cookie girl, you can see why I would switch the two.  The key to these delicious little cookies is the sugar.  You roll them in sugar before baking.  YUM..it gives the cookie this nice sweet crispiness, yet they are moist and chewy too.  I would never tell someone to throw a recipe away, but once I made these, I barely give other recipes a second glance!  Ok, maybe that's snobby, but still.. these are the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever made!!


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Jean Uhlenhake
Ingredients:
1 cup butter flavor Crisco
1 cup granulated sugar (plus more for rolling dough in)
1 cup packed brown sugar (light or golden)
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups oatmeal (I used Quaker Oats 1-minute)
1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl cream together Crisco, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Slowly add the dry mix to the creamed mixture.  Stir in the oatmeal.  Fold in the chocolate chips.

Shape dough into balls the size of walnuts and roll in sugar.  Place on cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a fork.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

YUM.

The dusting of sugar makes these cookies very eye-appealing. Your picture of them makes my mouth water. :)