Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pasta with Sausage, Basil & Mustard

I had found this recipe a few months back.  It looked incredibly good, so I put it aside for future use.  I create a two week menu and this recipe has popped up in that list numerous times since then and every time it gets kicked to the curb by something I believed to be more scrumptious.  Well, I am now very, very glad that this recipe made it on last weeks menu.  OMG was it good.  I was a bit hesitant even as I was putting it together.  Mustard????  With pasta?  Now, I'm a fan of pasta as I have said before, and I am also a fan of mustard...but together?  As I'm cooking dinner the other night it hit me... DUH.. mustard, sausage, what goes better together?  Wow, what a surprise this one was.  It was fantastic!

Pasta with Sausage, Basil & Mustard
Adapted from Nigel Slater/Food & Wine 
Ingredients:
1/2 lb Ziti or Penne pasta
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
3 Italian sausages, casings removed, crumbled (I used two sweet links and one hot link)
6 Tablespoons white wine (you can use chicken broth also)
6 Tablespoons heavy cream
2 Tablespoons coarse mustard
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I may have added a tad bit more)
1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.

Meanwhile, in a deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add the sausage and cook about 5 minutes.  Add the white wine, making sure to scrap all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.  Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.  Add the cream, mustard, and red pepper flakes and simmer for 2 minutes.  Remove the skillet from the heat.  Add the cooked pasta and basil; toss to coat.  Serve and Enjoy!

(PS..a little note about the basil...always add it at the last moment, as it heats up, basil will turn a black color, still tastes ok, but it's definitely not pleasing to the eye!!)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

This appeals to me. Was the mustard flavor prominent or was it more of a background flavor?

Unknown said...

Hello Michelle!

The mustard flavor was prominent, but it blended so well with the sausage
that it was overpowering. Hope that helps :)