Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Grilled Cumin-Cayenne Tilapia

I probably owe Chris an apology after this meal,.  You see, as we sat down to dinner he said, "Yea, we've had this before, it was good".  I was immediately all over that... "Oh no, this is new, I've never made this before".  Chris says, "no, I remember this".  I say.. "No you don't, I've never made this, this is a new recipe".  And so on and so on.....   After dinner, I happened to be on my blog and realized... although this is a new recipe, this is VERY similar to the Baked Cajun Tilapia I made back in January of last year.  So similar that it even LOOKS like it.. heck, I even served it over the same rice concoction!!!  lol!  Oh well... it was good and I really wanted to share it.  Plus, it's NOT the same and I cooked it completely differently... so there!

Just one note... this uses a lot of cayenne... if you do not like hot stuff, cut back on it and add until you hit the right heat level. You know what I'm going to say, right?  Yep.. you can always add more, you can never take away!!

Oh... and.... Sorry, Chris!! xo

Grilled Cumin-Cayenne Tilapia
Adapted from Cooking Light
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tilapia fillets
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika

Directions:
Preheat grill to 350 degrees F.  Prepare two large squares of aluminum foil large enough to create a packet for the fish - spray with non-stick cooking spray.

In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, salt, garlic, cayenne, pepper, and paprika.  Coat the fish with 1 teaspoon each olive oil.  Sprinkle on cumin mixture and place on prepared foil.  Bring sides of foil together to create a packet and place directly on the grill.  Grill for 12-14 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  Carefully remove from grill and allow to cool for a few minutes before opening the packet.   Carefully open packet and serve.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Penne with Meat Ragu
Two Years Ago:  Classic Steakhouse Marinated Steaks w/Red Pepper Aioli


15 comments:

Kyle Storms said...

This may seem like a stupid question, but what do you mean by making a "packet" with the foil? The recipe sounds delicious - can't wait to try it myself!

Becki's Whole Life said...

I have done that before. When you make so many recipes its kind of hard to remember all of them. But I would say that is a good sign that Chris remembered. This sounds great and I like this cooking method, too. Definitely going to try this - always looking for new ways to cook fish...and I like some spice!

Anonymous said...

this looks delicious - perfect flavoring - I'm going to buy tilapia!
Mary x

The Blonde Duck said...

This would be awesome in fish tacos!

Unknown said...

Kyle Storms - by making a packet, I mean folding opposite ends together and sealing to create a packet around the fish. Does that make sense?

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

LOL I hate it when the guys are right LOL! I love cumin, this sounds rather tasty! And since I made tilapia that one time all sorts of ideas have been swimming in my head. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you're going to make a fish lover out of me Jenn! Thanks!

Kyle Storms said...

So the foil surrounds the fish vs. the fish sitting on top of the foil?

Angie's Recipes said...

I always love your tilapia creations. This one is no exception. Yummy!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds really good. I'll have to cut back on the cayenne but other than that this is spot on for my family. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Kyle - yes, that is correct.
check out this youtube video - if you skip to about 1minute 30seconds, you can see how she folds up the packet. Hope this helps!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD_2lBfviBQ

Unknown said...

You came up with the best tilapia recipes. Cumin is one of my favourite food scents (and obviously, I adore the taste too). And I'd definitely go easy on the cayenne :)

Big Dude said...

He sure has a good memory.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

Looks delicious - perfect spices for tilapia!

© said...

I knew it!!!

Chris said...

Yeah, I remember this....