Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Blackened Grilled Chicken with Cajun Mayo Dipping Sauce

I know it's not exactly blackened...but that was the intention.  I guess sometimes food has a will of it's own.  At least that's my excuse here :)

Either way, this was a fantastic meal.   The chicken was flavorful with a tad bit of a kick. And the sauce... well you know how I feel about them, so do I really have to tell you?  Ok, ok.. it was DE-LIC-OUS!  I would have just spooned it directly into my mouth, but I'm pretty sure Chris would have fought me for it, so I decided to keep the peace and just dip my chicken in it.  It was still really good!!

Blackened Grilled Chicken with Cajun Mayo Dipping Sauce
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
olive oil
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the Cajun Mayo Dipping Sauce -
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon salt
pinch of dried oregano

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the dipping sauce until well combined.  Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.

In another bowl, mix together the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, salt, cayenne, and pepper until well combined.  Rub both sides of the chicken with olive oil.  Sprinkle/rub with season mixture.  Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees F.  Clean and oil grill grates.  Place the chicken over the fire and grill 5-8 minutes per side or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 3 minutes.  Serve with Cajun mayo dipping sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Orange Chicken Stir Fry
Two Years Ago:  Honey & Spice Glazed Pork Chops

8 comments:

StephenC said...

When I look at that chicken, part of me wants to go right out and get some kind of a grill. But I guess I won't. I'll start using the broiler more often.

Lea Ann (Highlands Ranch Foodie) said...

I've never tried to "blacken" anything, so it looks great to me. But what really caught my attention was that Mayo Dipping sauce. Sounds great. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, what amazing flavors in that meal!!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

There's something that just screams SUMMER about chicken colored red from delicious spices and black grill marks. It makes me drool!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a delight. This really sounds delicious and I can't wait to try it. Now if it would only stop raining! Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Beautiful char-grilled marks on the chicken Jenn... and with the sauce, I would have fought for it too :)

Chris said...

Fantastic recipe, very good!

The reason it didn't blacken is because there wasn't enough metal to meat contact. To blacken on the grill you need a screaming hot griddle or cast iron pan so you get full contact. Just be careful when you add the melted butter, if you spill it into the fire, FAWOOSH! (that's the sound of burning eyebrows and bangs, lol)

Desi said...

This recipe makes me extremely happy. Bookmarked it!