Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Guinness Chili

I truly should have shared this with you right before St. Patrick's day, but honestly, I just have been in a bit of a slump lately when it comes to writing.  I've been a bit busy with work and most nights, when I come home, sitting in front of the computer sounds like the worse idea ever.  Long story short, I just didn't get it to it in time.  But this chili can be eaten any time of the year, so I figured, who really cares, right?  You can pretend it's St. Patrick's day again if you want.

***Just added:  Check out Stephen's (The Obsessive Chef) post today for Classic Gingerbread Cake with Stout if you are looking for another way to cook with Guinness - it's definitely one I'll be trying soon!!  Thanks Stephen!***

Guinness Chili
Adapted from Robyn the Grill Grrrl
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 jalapenos, finely chopped
1 lbs bottom round steak, cubed
1/2 lbs ground sirloin
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 Tablespoon flour
12 oz bottle of Guinness
1 cup beef broth
1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes in tomato puree
2-3 Tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
8 oz can chili beans
1 Tablespoon tomato paste

Directions:
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook for 5-8 minutes, until the onions are soft and tender; stirring occasionally.  Add the jalapeno and cook for 3 minutes.  Add the steak and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.  Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.  Cook another 3-4 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.  Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.  Stir in flour and cook 1 more minute.  Slowly stir in the Guinness, beef broth, and tomatoes.  Add the chili powder, cumin, and Worcestershire.  Stir and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.  (the meat should be really tender by this point, if not, let it continue to simmer until it is)  Add the beans and tomato paste and cook another 15-20 minutes.  Taste for seasoning.  Serve immediately and Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Baked Camembert Pasta
Two Years Ago:  The Obessive Chef's Tilapia Fillets

18 comments:

Debbie said...

The chili looks delicious and perfect for today since it has gotten cold here again! I know what you mean about sitting in front of the computer after work. I work with one all day at the hospital and that is the last thing I want to turn on when I geto home!

Becki's Whole Life said...

Like how this has a mix of the cubed and ground sirloin. Beer in chili is amazing, seriously.

I have been the same way lately with work and blogging. I am on the computer all day and some nights I just can't look at my laptop. It's all about balance, right?

StephenC said...

The inclusion of Guinness sent me right to the kitchen to find our recipe for gingerbread cake with stout in it. I'm going to post it today and add a link to your chili. We'll call it "Stout Day."

Nicole said...

YUM! I'm saving this recipe!

Donna Elick said...

We love chili and I am sure the Guinness would make for an amazing chili. This looks and sounds fabulous, St patty's or not! Heck I still haven't cooked my corned beef. I may have a St Patty's Day in June... Who knows. : )

© said...

BEST CHILI EVER

Mary Bergfeld said...

It sounds perfect for a rainy Oregon day. Stout adds an unmistakable layer of flavor to dishes that its used in. I know I would enjoy a bowl of this. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Big Dude said...

Sounds delicious Jenn and I like the idea of using both cubed and ground meat and I can imagine the Guinness adding good flavor - it added to my St Patricks Day enjoyment.

Angie's Recipes said...

Better late than never ;-) Love this chilli dish.

tinyskillet said...

It looks amazing! I use cubed sirloin and a stout in my chili too. Funny but I usuall just make it for Super Bowl. I really need to make chili again...nice reminder!

Cranberry Morning said...

Well that definitely sounds wonderful, and it wouldn't matter what time of year it was. Yep, I'm makin' it. It's in my 'Jenn File.'

Pam said...

Love the meat and beer in this! Yeah, I remember those days at work and not wanting to look at a computer at night. Good post, good recipe! Thanks!

Unknown said...

God I want to dive right in! Looks incredibly rich and deeply hot. Divine stuff!!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, Guinness would add such depth to chili ... as though it could be made any better! But you did it!!!

Unknown said...

with a bowl of chili this flavourful, who cares if it isn't St. Patrick's day? Looks utterly delicious Jenn.

Knatolee said...

Came here via Stephen's blog. This chili looks wonderful and I'm printing out the recipe!

Chris said...

I like beer in my chili too but usually go with a lager. I like your combination of ground and cubed beef.

Candace said...

What a great idea to make chili with Guinness! This is definitely on the "must try" list. Yum!