Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Sweet Pepper Beef Stir Fry

You've heard me say it a million times.. stir fry is such a quick and easy meal that I find it hard to believe that people say they don't have time to make a good dinner.  That's silly, really.  The hardest, most time consuming part of making stir fry is the prep work and if you keep your ingredients simple, that takes no time at all.  Normally, a stir fry will take 30 minutes or less from start to finish.  Who doesn't have time for that???

Sweet Pepper Beef Stir Fry
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup beef broth
2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flake (depending on your heat level)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 Tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
1 lbs. boneless top sirloin, thinly sliced
12 mini sweet peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 sweet onion, thinly sliced

Directions:
In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the beef broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, 5 spice, garlic, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch until well combined; set aside.

In a wok or deep non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.  When the oil starts to shimmer (it will get a bit wavy, but not smoking), onion and stir fry for 3 minutes.  Add the beef and cook, stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink.  Add the sweet peppers and stir fry another 3-4 minutes or until everything is cooked through.  Mix the sauce one more time and pour into wok/skillet; stirring to coat.  As soon as the sauce starts to thicken, remove from heat, stir to combine.  Serve over rice.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Applesauce Bars
Two Years Ago:  Italian Style Tilapia

16 comments:

Bo said...

Stir-fries are so great for weeknight meals...yours sounds great...I love those mini sweet peppers.

Unknown said...

in total agreement, people are lazy... I mean how long can something like this take and you can even buy the ready sliced veg for goodness sake!!!... I love the look of the beef in this, really juicy!... so healthy too!

StephenC said...

Whoa, "Add the chicken"? Have you been hitting the cooking sherry again?

Becki's Whole Life said...

I love how peppers cook up in a stir fry. This sounds so flavorful!

I agree with you, there is no excuse to not be able to pull a meal together...even on crazy nights. You can even cut down on meal prep by cutting stuff up in the AM and then having everything set out on the shelf so you are ready to go when you get home.

Anonymous said...

Full of flavor and who won't love this! perfect weeknight meal - bookmarked!
Mary x

Cranberry Morning said...

Right. Down. My. Alley. !! Just give me a sprinkle of peanuts on top and a fork, and I'm set. Love this!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

As much as we love stir fry here I still space it out as a dinner option from time to time. And I'm a food blogger (well sometimes) for crying out loud LOL! Great dinner idea. This is why I love blogs - they remind me of the delicious and easy things in life!

Candace said...

You make this look so easy, Jenn! Not to mention absolutely delicious. I just can't pull myself together to make stir fry very easily. I'm easily distracted in the kitchen. haha

Furthermore reason why I should eat at your house and often! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

It really is amazing how easy a good stir fry is and this is a perfect example. They are quickly becoming my favorite weeknight standby. I'll be trying this one for sure!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

What a delicious looking stir fry! It's been so long since I've done one, but I'd love to try yours. Thanks, Jenn!

Big Dude said...

You make so many great looking stir fry dishes I'm rumming out of things to say - maybe I'll just start using "Ditto"

Pam said...

I don't know why I never make stir frys... you are right, they are quick and easy. This one looks delicious.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Beef and peppers is one of my all-time favorite dishes. Your version sounds delicious and it is packed with flavor. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary.

Lea Ann (Highlands Ranch Foodie) said...

I couldn't agree more. I just need to find one good flavoring combo for beef and one for chicken. Then you can use up vegetables at your convenience. Will give this one a try.

Mary said...

Stir fries are a go-to meal in my house. There is one on the table at least a couple times a month. The sweet and spicier the better! This one looks delicious!

Chris said...

Sweet~

I like stir fry in general and this one especially with the tasty sauce you put together.