Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

Smoked Baked Beans

The other day I saw an episode of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives where they were showcasing BBQ places.  One of them had smoked beans on their menu and since it was a couple days before I was going to smoke ribs and I had planned on having baked beans with them anyway, I thought.. I'm gonna smoke those beans!  Now, the downside to this is I should have put the beans in during the first hour of smoking the ribs and then just reheated them on the grill - but I didn't.  I don't believe I got as much of the smokey flavor in there as I could have.  But, that's ok.. these beans were still delicious and we ate every last bit of them!  It could have been the jalapenos.... or the bacon... yea, it's probably the bacon!!!

And I know.. should I really be calling them "baked" when I'm smoking them... shouldn't I just call them smoked beans?  Technically, yes, but hey, it's my blog and my recipe and I get to name it whatever I want.  If you make this, I give you permission to call it whatever you want - just make it :)

Smoked Baked Beans
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
16oz can Bush's Homestyle baked beans
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (leave seeds for more heat)
2 teaspoons molasses
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
3 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch squares
small aluminum disposable loaf pan

Directions:
Mix together the beans, jalapenos, molasses, mustard, garlic, and sugar.  Season with salt and pepper if necessary.  Pour into disposable aluminum pan and top with squares of bacon.  Place in a preheat smoker (225-240 degrees F) and allow to smoke for 1-2 hours.  Remove from oven and cover until ready to use.  If not using right away, reheat on grill or in oven.  Serve with some smoked balsamic ribs and enjoy!!


One Year Ago:  Queso Blanco Chicken Enchiladas
Two Years Ago:  Pasta with Sausage, Basil & Mustard

19 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

I'd just call them FABULOUS!!!

Bo said...

Baked beans are my favorite things at a BBQ.

Mary said...

The flavors in these sound excellent. I haven't made my recipe in years, but I think it's very close to this one. YUM

Shaheen said...

Minus the bacon, I so want to make these. Smoked baked besans has been on the menu for a while, now its time to make some. Esp as its somethign you don't see in the U.K. Thanks for sharing.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Baked beans are one of my favorite side dishes ever! Smoking them only makes sense, I mean why not infuse that awesome flavor into the beans?? They sound really divine Jenn!

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Well, you know I make my baked beans from scratch. But once in a while ... when I want some *right now* ... all I can say is, thank you, Jay Bush! And I like your additions, Jenn.

Cranberry Morning said...

Yep, you have the right to call 'em anything you want! And they remind me of the baked beans (with a smoky flavor) that the old ladies used to bring to Sunday School picnics at the local park. I don't know what their recipe was, but I've never tasted anything close to those great baked beans that they made. Maybe this recipe is pretty close! Sounds delicious, that's for sure.

Becki's Whole Life said...

This is a great recipe - esp. now that its nicer out and we are grilling a little bit! The jalapenos are a great addition to these beans.

StephenC said...

Just call them'uns 'beans'.

Pam said...

I was thinking how amazing these beans would be with your ribs... then I saw the bottom picture. Delicious!

Candace said...

Bacon, Jalapenos and Bush's beans are an unbeatable combination. When you add in smoky flavor, you kick them up notches unknown. Yeah, gotta get a smoker for sure!

Sue/the view from great island said...

This looks great, I love your add-ins!

Debbie said...

My husband would love this.....he loves his baked beans and BBQ! I watch Guy's show also. He features the best places. Have a great weekend!

Chris said...

I just love BBQ beans! And you can't go wrong starting out with Bush's :)

Angie's Recipes said...

They are flavourful!

Carla from The River said...

We love baked beans, I will give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

Desi said...

I don't care what they're called... I just want some in my belly asap!

Unknown said...

This recipe was so good. I am married to one of those super picky eaters, so I used my food processor to purée the jalapeños (with out seeds).. He never knew they were there and couldn't stop eating it. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Great way to get the spice in there without anyone noticing, Jenny!
Thanks for stopping by my site, I appreciate the comment!