Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Chorizo Empanadas

My wonderful and utterly amazing life-saving friend Ruben brought me a wonderful little gift a couple of weeks ago.  FIVE.. that's right 5... pounds of the most delicious ground Mexican chorizo I have ever had!  (I so owe him some vanilla bean sugar cookies!)  For those of you that follow me pretty regularly, you might remember me speaking of this chorizo and how it has made me a chorizo snob.  No other chorizo I can find matches it... not even close!  So, you can imagine my surprise and complete joy when he handed me, not just one, but 5.. count them... 1..2..3..4...5... FIVE POUNDS OF CHORIZO!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Anyway, now my dilemma is, how to use it. (and of course, how not to use it so it will last)  My first idea:  Chorizo empanadas.  I made empanadas for the first time, just shortly after starting my blog started and I've been wanting to make more... I just love those little pockets filled with meat!  And speaking of meat filling..... Oh yea.. the filling... spicy, creamy, flavorful... enough said!

Chorizo Empanadas
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3/4 lbs. ground chorizo
1/4 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1 1/2 Tablespoons cream cheese
1/4-1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 package pie crust (containing 2 shells)
1-2 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

Directions:
In a skillet, over medium heat, add the chorizo.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked all the way through, about 5-10 minutes.  Remove with slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate.  Remove all but 1 Tablespoon of the grease and add the onion (reduce temp to medium low if needed).  Cook onions until translucent and tender, about 10 minutes.  Add the jalapeno and sweet pepper and cook another 4 minutes.  Return the chorizo to the pan and stir in the cream cheese until it's melted.  Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese.  Remove from heat.

Unroll pie crust shells and cut out rounds, using a 3 or 4-inch cookie cutter.  Re-roll dough as needed.  Repeat procedure with remaining pie crusts.  Arrange 1 round on a clean surface and brush the edges lightly with water.  Drop a heaping tablespoon full of the filling onto the rounds and fold the dough over the filling, pressing the edges with a fork to seal.  Repeat with remaining rounds and chorizo mixture.  Brush with melted butter.

Bake at 400 degrees for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before cutting into them (filling will be hot).  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Creamy Lime Guacamole
Two Years Ago:  Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

14 comments:

Bo said...

What a great friend...and great idea to use those pie crust, they make this fairly simple. Great recipe Jen.

Big Dude said...

I won't have any problem finding something to say about this one. This is the second baked empanada post I've read recently and it is now on the must try soon list. I love good chorizo and you are so lucky to have a homemade source like this. I'm confident you will make it proud.

Big Dude said...

I almost forgot - what no sauce?

Debbie said...

Great idea and great friend...lucky you! These look delicious Jenn!

StephenC said...

I am so pleased to see a recipe that doesn't call on me to make dough. Pie dough, pie dough, pie dough. It's like a high school football game cheer. "CHORIZO FOREVER"

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

More chorizo from Ruben, you are so lucky!! What a great use of it too. I love the baked empanada, what a great alternative to frying them. Hmm...why haven't I made empanadas yet?? Thanks for the inspiration Jenn, they really do look delicious!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

What a great friend! I'm jealous of the chorizo, I just discovered it. The empanadas look amazing!

Angie's Recipes said...

These empanadas look mouthwatering! Love satisfying chorizo filling.

Yenta Mary said...

OMG, those look amazing! My friends bring me cookies and other treats, but never chorizo! What a fabulous, fabulous thing of beauty those empanadas are ... :)

Pam said...

You lucky lady! The empanadas look amazing. Love chorizo!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

What a great friend! And you won't find this surprising at all but Mexican chorizo is the only kind we eat. I like the Spanish version to but my husband freaks if it's 'not ground.' Chorizo snob indeed. Can't wait to see what else you make with this!

Candace said...

My problem would be waiting to cut into these babies. I can see myself picking one up off the sheet with my fingers and bouncing it around my hands while trying to bite into it. Immediately. These look soooo good, Jenn. I love chorizo and the idea of these yummy little pies. What a great friend you have and what a great friend you must be for him to hook you up like that.

Lea Ann (Highlands Ranch Foodie) said...

Can Reuben be my friend too? :) I've not had that many different chorizos to even come close to being a snob. The only one I like so far is from Whole Foods. The empanadas look wonderful. Look forward to more Chorizo dishes.

Chris said...

Seriously wicked good, I think this is fantastic. I love everything about these empanadas and will definitely be giving this a go!